Engage interaction imported into Storyline 360

Jun 22, 2021

Hello,

I've just started using the Articulate 360 software package and I'm looking for assistance.  I have an Engage activity that I've imported successfully into my Storyline.  I am challenged by the activity auto-advancing and not giving the end user enough time to complete the activity or not auto-advancing at all.

I've searched the discussion boards and read about a recent (1 year ago) user with a similar experience.  That discussion states the options are only available if I have Engage '09 installed.  I do not have access to previous versions.

I've tried different triggers

• auto advance when the timeline ends
  • various object triggers (I read Engage was web object)
    • comes up with two unassigned variables

I've also tried the Options within Storyline, without success.

Any ideas or assistance are appreciated. 

5 Replies
Lauren Connelly

Hello VICKIE!

I'm happy to help! Since you can't add triggers to an Engage interaction in Storyline 360, you might consider adding a button that appears at the end of the timeline so the user can move to the next slide after viewing the interaction.

Which Engage layout are you using? If you have a sample file, I'd be happy to take a look and look to see if I can offer a workaround!

VICKIE BENNETT

Hello and thank you.

I am using the circle (layers) interaction.  (Sample attached- I used the file from the end user' with the similar experienced mentioned above. ) 

I'm challenged because there is a time requirement for the total module I am creating, which leads me to "jump to next slide when the timeline ends" for content.  While the user is able to go back to review a slide, they are not able to click "next" to "skip" that content.  That is why I was hoping the interaction would advance after all layers of the circle had been visited.

Currently, I have the timeline set to 3 minutes, then "jump to next slide when the timeline ends".  However, each user reads/comprehends at a different speed, so I made a guess at the time.  So far testers are ok with 3 minutes.  

Lauren Connelly

Hello Vickie!

Thank you so much for attaching your file! I think you'll have more control if you build this interaction in Storyline 360. Not to worry, I've created an interaction for you in Storyline 360 with the content from the Engage interaction. I used a template from one of our community members, which looks similar to the circle diagram in Engage. I've attached the updated project to this reply and recorded a short demo explaining how I modified this interaction. Here's the link.

Let me know what you think!

VICKIE BENNETT

Lauren,

That was AMAZING.  I did not think of doing it that way. I'm still learning Articulate and your information has opened several options for me!  I will be using this approach quite a bit!

Question - instead of "showing" the next button is there a way to auto-advance when all have been visited?

Lauren Connelly

Hi Vickie!

I'm so glad that was helpful! You could use a variable to determine when to jump to the next slide. The one drawback would be that the user wouldn't have the opportunity to revisit any of the sections before jumping to the next slide automatically.

Additionally, if you are creating a course to conform to 508 accessibility guidelines, we would recommend allowing the learner to determine when they are ready to move onto the next slide, rather than jumping to the next slide automatically.

I hope that is helpful as well!