Freebie Download - Hangman Game

Apr 28, 2016

Here is a 5 question Hangman game. I got the start of the idea from Gavin Innes post (https://community.articulate.com/e-learning-examples/storyline-2-advanced-hangman-game). He created and uploaded a 1-question hangman slide. I just took it from there, made some modifications /additions and then – thanks to community member Mike Bubyn, got it working with more than 1 question slide.

17 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Anna! Glad you enjoyed this example :) Hangman was one of my favorite games as a child. 

Hopefully Kimberly is still subscribed to the thread here, but if you do not hear from her soon, you are welcome to reach out to the user directly via the 'Contact Me' option on the user profile. Not sure if she has set up something similar or perhaps someone in the community will be able to assist. 

Otherwise, you may want to take a look at setting up a variable that you report to the LMS.

By default, Articulate Storyline can't send the value of a variable to an LMS. However, this article describes one way you can do it.

Kimberly Matson

Hi Anna.  One way to keep a running total of words a person gets correct:

create a number variable (e.g. "correctanswers") and then add a trigger to the "winner" layer of each slide that adds a value of 1 to your "correctanswers" variable when the timeline starts

I'm not sure about sending the variable to an LMS...but it looks like Leslie gave you some information about that.

Thanks!  Kimberl

Anna Gorshkova

Hi Leslie and Kimberly,

Thank you to you both for your advice!  I am still working on this project, so it is coming in very handy!

I have also run into a problem while creating the words for hangman (I have over 25 of them now).  With some of the words you have to double click on one of the correct letters before the "Winner" layer pops up.  With others, you don't.  I have looked over and over and still do not find any reason of why this could be happening.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Anna Gorshkova

Hi Leslie,

I'll go ahead and attach it here.  The slide works properly for "rubella" and does not work properly for "autism."  For rubella, when you get the correct word, the winner layer pops up automatically, whereas for autism, you have to click a correct letter twice.  I can't figure out what the difference between the two slides is, and would greatly appreciate your help!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Anna! Thanks for sharing your file and allowing me to take a peek. It looks like trigger order was the culprit :) Setting your letter variables, then the number variable seems to have done the trick.

Example: Set Mvar equal to M When the user clicks then have Add 1 to correctVar when the user clicks.

Attaching your updated project.

Coldingley Articulate1

Thank you for this, seems like a great piece of work.

I was wondering if there was a way we could implement a java solution for picking a word and automatically breaking the individual letters into their sections. 

This would allow for a much larger database of words to be used, something we could change to suit various projects easily.

Craig