Help

Apr 17, 2014

I am brand new to the Articulate products and just got the Storyline.  I currently have a bunch of training materials typed out in Microsoft Word and was wondering how to best implement them to storyline without having to recreate them all completely.

My goal is to take some of these lenghty paragraph form documents i made and chapterize them with quizzes in between the chapters.  Is there such a template i can start with or any recommendations on what would be the easiest starting point for a project like this?  Currently feeling a bit overwhelmed and just want to get some basic training guides done in which i can go back to later and dress up.

Thanks in advance,

James

6 Replies
Gary Weaver

I have been doing eLearning for only about a year, however, I have run into sort of the same situation a few times.  You have some choices, if you just want to dump the information onto a slide with a few pictures you can do that but it will be no better than just emailing everyone the word documents and not wasting your time.  Unfortunately, quality takes time.  If you want the learner to get something out of the material you can give them small chunks of information and then create scenarios that use that knowledge and quiz them to ensure that they understand the concepts.  A different way is to create a story with characters and have them interact to demonstrate the usage of the material and then you interject comments to highlight the concepts that they just showed.  

Warning to you….do not put very much information on each slide, a couple small paragraphs at most.  If your topic is significant you should break it down in to several courses that are each a self contained part of your overall subject.  If necessary, you can have them take a summary eLearning Storyline course once they have finished all the separate parts.  If you just cram page after page on the slides you will finish your work quickly but the learners will despise you.  Your design of how the material is to be presented is more difficult than the Storyline coding.

BTW, Storyline is somewhat of a diamond in the rough.  It looks very simple but with ingenuity (and reading the forum) you can do just about anything.  When I first started using the program I would get questions like "Can it do this?" or "Can it do that?" and I would say "No" because it did not have a button that did those things, however, there are ways to combine several features together to make it happen.  For example, there is no button to make a video stop automatically at a certain point (as well as the timeline) but by combining some off screen objects, triggers and layer options, you can make it happen.  You would do well to spend about 30 minutes each night reading the forums to see some of the inventive ways that people have found to make Storyline do what they want.

James O'Sullivan

Normal 0 false false false oNotPromoteQF /> EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Thank you very much Gary and Rehan.  Gary, very goodadvice and i really think i just have to reorganize what i have created into smaller pieces andbreak it down to the component level so I can train on each of those then at the endtie it all together with a role play or video.  But like you said, nothinggood is easy

James O'Sullivan

Is there a way to add hyperlinks to a slide that would direct a person to a brochuer or image with more detail for study?  Or is this something you would not recommend doing.  I am creating some retail training manuals and was thinking of having a link to the product brochure at the end of each slide.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi James,

You'll want to check out the tutorials here on how to add hyperlinks or include web objects within your Storyline course. Also, when you're ready to test these you'll want to publish and then test within the published environment to ensure everything works as expected. Testing the published output locally could cause issues with security restrictions. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.