Help with variables/conditions for Battleship type math game
Sometimes I have great ideas but am not sure how to execute them once I get started. I am currently working on a game-based approach for a math lesson in which I want to use something like the Battleship game. The learners are looking for buried pirate treasure. They must answer a math question correctly in order to be able to select an area of the grid to see if they can find five pieces of the treasure. What I'm having trouble figuring out is the how to design the true/false variables and conditions.
1) They must answer the question (from a question bank) correctly to go to the grid. That's just a trigger on whether to go to the correct (grid) slide or incorrect layer. I think.
2) I have the grid set up on a separate slide rather than use a layer. This way the learners always return to the same slide if they've answered the question correctly. I've set up a grid of rectangles with triggers to hide and disable when the user clicks. I need to figure out how to make sure they can only click ONE box each time. Also how to set up the true/false variables and conditions so that when the learner returns to the grid slide, the boxes they've selected remain hidden and disabled. I am thinking that all I have to do is have the continue button link back to the question bank. It would appear only after they've made their selection.
3) There are five pieces of treasure hidden with15 boxes arranged in a grid. The learner does not have to complete the entire 15 questions if he/she uncovers all 5 pieces before then. I need to figure out the variables/conditions that will take indicate they've found all the treasure and allow them to continue to the Results slide.
4) I would like to have the learners be able to play again with a different grid, since I have the questions set up to randomize. I wish there were a way to randomize the location of the hidden treasure under the different boxes. Not sure if I should just copy the same interaction (just change the locations of the treasure on the new grid) so I wouldn't have to figure out the new triggers/conditions or how easy it would be to build a variable to send the learner to new grid slide.
5) Not sure if I haven't forgotten something.