How do I stop autoplay in Storyline 360?

Dec 20, 2019

I could have sworn that the last time I used Storyline you could turn off the autoplay but I can't seem to find it since the new updates. How do I turn off the autoplay feature? 

9 Replies
Marilyn Mejia

Thank you but I meant the whole Storyline project. For example, below is a screenshot of an old project and had a play button before starting which was nice because this project is embedded and I don't want people to hear the project before getting to it. The last project I worked on didn't work that way but I'm not sure why. 

Jeff Forrer

Hello, you are right, this has changed over the last few years as browsers have changed and software such as Articulate has to keep up and adjust accordingly. 

I believe currently if you have audio on the first slide of your course, you will see the screen as you have shown above in Chrome, but in Edge (I am not sure of Firefox, IE), the audio will automatically play.

If you don't want the audio to play right away, you can add a blank slide (black if you want as above) as your first slide with a play button as above, then once they click play, have it jump to your first slide.

Again, browsers work different, so I usually find out from my audience or client what is the most preferred browser they use and go with the best solution for that.

Richard Fouchaux

I believe that for accessibility compliance autoplay must off by default. I believe the failure to provide control over this is "Failure of [WCAG 2.0] Success Criterion 1.4.2 for absence of a way to pause or stop an HTML5 media element that autoplays". I experienced a bit of a shock when my modules created with this basic Level A requirement in place stopped working (testing in Firefox and Chrome), and I could no longer find a control setting in the Player setup.  I'm currently screen-reader testing a module for imminent release—it's simply unacceptable that the screen-reader has to compete with the audio on the introduction slide. If the learner mutes the browser they may very well miss the opportunity to choose to listen to the built-in narration or rely solely on the robotic voice. I'm very disappointed in Articulate that this situation has been allowed to persist unaddressed. Please alert your developers of the urgent need to meet success criteria 1.4.2 for all elements on a page, including AS360 "stories".

Richard Fouchaux

Thanks to Jeff and Najam. I expect I'll add a translucent layer to mimic the long-familiar look. I suppose I may need to do it with JavaScript to create a modal layer that extends over the side menu. This workaround should in no way relieve AS360 of their obligations to the disabled community, Section 508 regulations, and where I'm located the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).

Garry Motto

I have to agree with Richard, I have no idea where the thought process was in removing this function and what it has to do with browser capability. Regardless of the browser, there should be an option within the settings to not auto play be default, an yes this is a Section 508 concern as well, as a developer we shouldn't be required to create additional layers/triggers and buttons when it is a basic function that should be included in the player settings. Articulate claims to be making strides in accessibility functions but have you actually tried developing a course in Storyline and running it through JAWS, it is not an easy task folks.