Importing Power Point into Storyline

Apr 11, 2023

I imported a PowerPoint into Storyline and my triggers are not working. The slides are playing automatically instead of allowing the user to click the next button after the state has been set to normal. 

Any suggestions?

4 Replies
Luciana Piazza

Hi Inita, 

Thanks so much for reaching out. Sorry to hear you've run into this snag with Triggers in your Storyline 360 course. I understand your frustration! 

I want to be sure that I understand your request:

• Are you having difficulties with triggers that you have created within Storyline 360, or are you looking for transitions from PowerPoint to be carried over to your Storyline course when you import? 

If I understand correctly, perhaps the navigation needs to be revisited within Storyline. I'd like to share instructions from this article on how to restrict or lock down navigation for all slides so that your course does not auto-play as you've described:

1. Go to the Home tab on the Storyline ribbon and click Player.
  2. Click Menu on the player properties ribbon, then click the gear icon at the bottom of the window for additional menu options.
  3. Use the Navigation Restrictions drop-down list to choose either Restricted or Locked.
    • Restricted means learners can view the current slide and any slide they previously viewed, but they can't jump ahead or skip over slides.
    • Locked means learners can only view slides in the order you've designed. They can't jump ahead or skip over slides, nor can they go back to any previously viewed slides.
  4. Mark the box to Restrict Next/Previous buttons or Lock Next/Previous buttons, depending on the option you selected in the previous step. (It's marked by default.)
  5. Click OK twice to close the menu options and the player properties.

It would be helpful to take a closer look at your file. Feel free to send along a screen recording of what you're experiencing as well as your PowerPoint and .story file. I'd love to take a closer look! 

Inita Knox

Luicana, 

Thank you for your response. I think I figured it out. I had to change the slide properties to by user for the triggers I set to work for user to advance through the course. 

Would you happen to know if and how I can add a pdf resource to the resources tab to be downloaded at the beginning of the course?

John Morgan

Hi Inita,

Thanks for the follow-up question! I understand you'd like to know how to add a PDF to the resources tab in the player. I'd be happy to get some information for you about that! Follow these steps to add your resources:

1. Under the home tab, click Player.
  2. In the Player Properties window, click Resources.
  3. Click the Add icon (looks like a blank piece of paper) at the bottom left of the window.
  4. In the Add Resource window, enter a Title for the resource.
  5. Select either URL or File, depending on the kind of resource you're adding, then do the following:
    • If you're adding a URL, enter the web address in the field provided.

• If you're adding a file, click Browse, select the file you want to attach, and click Save.
  6. Click Save.

Also, here's an article with more details about Attaching Resources in Storyline 360.

I hope this helps! If there's anything else you need please don't hesitate to ask!