Issues after latest update (Feb 20, 2024) - Storyline behaving strangely

Feb 29, 2024

I submitted an accessibility-related case yesterday for an issue with buttons not being read according to the Custom Focus Order that had been set. Storyline was just randomly diverging from the Focus Order for seemingly no reason at all. 

Then, my colleague and I discovered that a hyperlink was no longer clickable when using a mouse, but it was selectable when using a keyboard/pressing Enter to open the link. No matter what we tried to fix this, we couldn't get it to recognize the mouse click as an action that would open the link. However, we only had this issue on the one slide that we had recently made changes to (since the Feb. 20 update). All other slides in our projects were behaving fine, hyperlinks and all. 

My colleague is also reporting that the preview doesn't always show her things that are present in the published version. 

With Storyline behaving so strangely, we are starting to think these issues may be related to the recent update, since everything looks good "under the hood" as far as we can tell. Has anyone else experienced these issues lately? 

3 Replies
Steven Benassi

Hi Daniella!

Sorry to hear you and your colleague have run into these setbacks after updating Storyline 360!

Smart move on opening a support case! I see that you're working with my teammate Philam. You're in excellent hands troubleshooting with him! We can continue the conversation through your case to help keep all information in one spot.

Vic Glover

Yep also having problems with focus order... amongst other things I'm having these issues:

• It starts reading in the middle of the body text on layers - completely skipping the heading (this was a serious issue a few years ago which seems to have been revived recently).
  • As far as I can tell, it seems to be reading in timeline order rather than what is defined on custom focus order.
  • when you close layers, it skips backwards an element or two on the base layer, sometimes to the middle of a previously read paragraph. This happens randomly. It occasionally also says 'unknown' when closing a layer.
  • If none of the elements in the focus order start at the beginning of the timeline (e.g. if they appear half a second after an ignored element) the screen reader skips all the elements. I think this behaviour is confined to layers. 
  • On some slides it will read the alt text for the selected state while displaying the visited state.

Have we found any sort of fix or do we know what is the most recent stable version of SL where focus order works properly? I've spent way too much time trying to find work arounds already...

Jose Tansengco

Hi Vic,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the focus order. 

Would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening? We'll delete it when we're done testing! 

Additionally, please include which screen reader you're using to test your course so we can test the behavior as accurately as possible.