Lost recent projects in storyline 360

Jun 26, 2017

I haven't used my storyline 360 for a couple of weeks.

Today I opened the storyline app on my PC and on the home page all my recent projects had disappeared. I am unable to access these now so wondered where will they be - any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation.

17 Replies
Ali Goulet

Hey Martin,

Sorry that happened! Your files should still be saved in the same location on your computer as they were before. 

You can do a quick test to see where they're saving to by opening a new file in Storyline 360 and going to File > Save. This will pop up a window that'll show you where your files save to by default. 

Let me know how that goes! 

Martin Fenton

Hi Ali

Thanks for your reply. I have tried your suggestion but my files are not
shown.

The location identified via the file > save is C:\Users\martin\my articulate
projects and they are not in there.

My recent projects is still showing blank on my home page in Storyline 360.

Martin

Crystal Horn

Hi Martin.

Can you do a search in your File Explorer for *.story ?  I would start on your C: drive as the search domain.  

If there's any chance that you backed up or saved to a Network drive, you could look there as well.

Let us know how you make out!

Also, quick note:  replying from your email includes your email signature with contact information.  You can come back and edit it out, though!

Wendy Ross

Hey 

I am hoping to get help with having published my course to the web but I'm not sure I saved it to my system ... I somehow thought that when I went back in to work on it that it would be in "recent" Is there any way to DL my web-published S.L. course or somehow open it back up into S.L. so I can continue to edit it? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Wendy

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Wendy and welcome to E-Learning Heroes 😊

Thanks for reaching out and sharing that you need access to your project file. 

Publishing the course is not the same as saving the project file, but there may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check:

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.
Wendy Ross

Thank for your quick response. I was unable to recover temp and am now
attempting to restore my system from the day from which I published the
course.

Is there anything else I can do?
Am I for sure unable to download my work from the publushed course?

Thanks again for your time.
-Wendy Rosd

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Deborah.

I'm sorry to hear you're not able to see the recent files when you open Storyline 360!

Are you working from a local hard drive? We don't recommend working with files on a network drive as it can cause erratic behavior. If it's a local drive but also syncing with a service such as OneDrive or Dropbox, it can cause a similar effect as a network drive. 

If you're still encountering this same issue after repairing Storyline, please reach out through a case. 

Jose Tansengco

Hello Aditi, 

Sorry to hear about your project files. My colleague Maria gave great advice here on how reduce the risk of encountering issues with your project file.

If you were working on your project file fairly recently, there may also be a copy of it still saved in your computer's temporary folders. Here's how to check:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

If you are still unable to locate your project file, open a case with our support team here for additional assistance. 

Jose Tansengco

There isn't a way to recover a project file from the published output of the course. I'm sorry really sorry about your project file, but if you have no working backup of it, then you'll need to recreate it from scratch using the published output as a guide. 

You can reach out to our support team by opening a case if you'd like to continue investigating what happened to your project file. 

Shirley FIDALIS PETARD

Hello!

How can I have access to a file a colleague created in Soryline but didnt share and save it in his PC just in Storyline?

He was using my credentials, but since it was another computer I cant find the file using the "Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline"

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Kelly Auner

Hi Shirley, and thanks for reaching out!✨

I see that you’ve reached out to our Support Engineers and are working with my teammate, Lianne, so you're in great hands. Gentle reminder; we don't recommend sharing credentials with colleagues since your Articulate ID is yours alone.

If anyone is experiencing a similar issue, please note that Storyline courses are saved on the end user's machine and not on Articulate servers. Therefore, the only way to recover the content is to ask for a copy of the files from the previous author.

In the chance you're using syncing applications such as OneDrive/Dropbox/Google Drive in your organization, you can check your online shared folders for a backup.