moodle 3.5.x, storyline 3, essay quiz responses truncated at 260 characters

Aug 13, 2019

I used Storyline 3 to create a course containing essay survey/quiz questions. I set the essay question response length to 400 words or 2000 characters.  I published it to scorm 1.2 format because our LMS requires the scorm 1.2 format (it is moodle v.3.5.x). Essay responses recorded are truncated after 260 characters of input by the learner. I tested the file in rustici as well and it is truncated there too after 260 characters. When inputting, the learner gets no indication that anything they enter after 260 characters will not be recorded. Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do about it?

1 Reply
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Christine,

The limit on characters displayed is imposed by your LMS, and connected to the amount of data that can be captured and transferred based on the LMS specifications. 

The ADL SCORM 1.2 spec states the limit of CMIFeedback as 255 characters or less. If you would like to read more about that, you can visit the ADL website, specifically the Technical Specification link under SCORM 1.2 Resources. 

SCORM 2004 doesn't have the same limitations - so if the length of the response is the only issue you have, I'd look at publishing for SCORM 2004, and that might suit your needs.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.