New in Storyline 360: Emphasis Animations (Beta)

Jan 23, 2024

Emphasis animations—the effects you know and love from PowerPoint—are now available in the beta version of Storyline 360! These eye-catching effects like pulsing, shaking, and teetering give you even more ways to grab and direct your learners' attention. And if you're designing animated scenes or interactions, you'll now have even more options for creating the exact experience you're looking for. The sky's the limit with this feature!

Ready to take your content to the next level? Simply select your object, go to the Animations tab, and click the Add Emphasis Animation drop-down arrow to choose an animation from the gallery. It's that easy!

And here's a time-saving benefit: Thanks to this feature, you can now preview local JavaScript triggers, such as ones that retrieve or set the value of a Storyline 360 variable, to ensure they work as expected.

Excited to check this feature out? Articulate 360 subscribers can access these animations right away. If you don't have Articulate 360, just start a free 30-day trial. For more details about emphasis animations, check out this article: Storyline 360: Emphasis Animations.

This feature is currently in beta—meaning it's still a work in progress. We'll continue to refine it, using your feedback as guidance. Comment below to share your experience using emphasis animations. We'd love to hear from you!

Pinned Reply
Lauren Connelly

Hello all!

In Storyline 360 (Build 3.85.31840.0), we fixed a bug that many of you were running into:

• Fixed: Emphasis-animation triggers could become incomplete after reopening a project file.

From here, all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app!

If you run into any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Support team in a support case. 

68 Replies
Kate Scaife

Brian, was it the hover state that caused the issue for you? I am using cue points to trigger a teeter emphasis with a looping timeline. When visited, the item goes to state disabled. I have tried to only teeter if the state is normal, if the state is not disabled, and I've tried variables (if variable is / if variable is not). The disabled objects continue to teeter. 

Brian Allen

My problem ended up being user error... I had somehow added an additional emphasis animation to my buttons. When I deleted the extra animation it all worked. 

From what I could see the second emphasis animation didn't seem to be accounted for in any of the triggers, which I thought was weird, but it's possible I accidentally deleted it not realizing what it was at first.

I used a similar approach to Tom's video he shared above for looping, with a couple of tweaks. My buttons begin disabled and are set to a normal state when specific slide layers have been viewed. I only wanted the emphasis effect to occur when the button was first set to Normal, and only if the button had not yet been clicked. Once the button was clicked I wanted to make sure that the emphasis effect would not trigger if the slide were revisited.

First trigger to start the emphasis animation (once the button state changes to Normal)...

Second trigger to loop the animation until the button is clicked the first time...

Chuck Price

I discovered something neat!  You can use a hotspot as a trigger point to animate the emphasis animation.  So, I added a motion path to the hotspot and created a wave effect for a row of icons.

• Setup row of icons (or other asset)
  • Create hotspot
  • Give each icon an Emphasis Animation that triggers on intersection of hotspot
  • Set animation path of hotspot to intersect through the row of icons.
  • Create button to trigger animation path of hotspot.

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/2c78dd9f-83d1-4f17-855f-5ea131319ce1/review

Dm 2

Es muy útil y ayuda a enriquecer el curso, pero tengo un error con su funcionalidad, ya que, cuando tengo todos mis botones con esa nueva función, guardo y cierra mi programa , al abrirlo nuevamente para continuar con mi proyecto, todas las animaciones de énfasis se pierden y queda sin vincular, y me toca repetir el proceso, pero igual no puedo cerrar por que todo se me pierde. 

Neil Wallace

The emphasis animations are cool, but I'm also having the same issue as Tetiana and Ghislaine.

Whilst working on a session I find that sometimes when I return to a slide with emphasis animations that have been previously been set up, they have become unlinked and the triggers are showing unassigned.

Please can you help as I would like to continue using this great feature.

Annie Kim
Hi everyone! We are aware of the bug where emphasis animations disappear when reopening projects and have been investigating. If anybody else encounters this bug, please email me at akim@articulate.com with the following information so we can continue to investigate and look into a fix.
  • The project or slide where the emphasis animations are missing
  • Any backups of the same project
  • Did you use the 32-bit or 64-bit version to create and open the project?
  • If the answer above is 32-bit, then does opening in the 64-bit version fix the issue?
  • Did you copy/paste any slides or shapes?
  • Repro steps if you can consistently run into this bug

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused! 

Team iSapiens
Ghislaine Laurin
There is one major issue, however : I created and saved a project with quite a few emphasis animations. When I reopened the project a day later, all of the emphasis animations had disappeared from my objects and my triggers showed "unassigned". Very disappointed this morning :-(
I am unable to send a support case because Articulate Support is down for maintenance until Jan. 29th 2024.

The same here