New Storyline's Auto Screen Reading Tab Order
We received over 90% of a pass score with an expert accessibility test. Then the new version of Storyline came out and threw a wrench in all of our plans.
At first, it seemed terrible. But, with closer inspection, it seems this new version can be of use to us, if we restart at square one.
1) The tab order is auto read. Before, we would press Tab, or use the Up/Down key arrows. The tab order should have an option to NOT be auto played....for animations with synced audio narration, this becomes overwhelming and cumbersome and non functional. We have audio in all of our slides, and having NVDA/JAWS reading over the audio at the same time...ouff.
2) Even though you press CTRL to make the screen reader stop talking, when things fade in sequence during animation, he'll start reading that item's alt text, making the user have to basically hold down the CTRL button to continuously make the person be quiet
3) Things repeat automatically. I started a whole new storyline file, with just 1 page title, and one body text. Screen readers read several things several times, like the document name in the HTML tab, and the page title, and random things like "clickable text" "navigation landmark" "back to previous" and when using the scrubber, it starts narrating all kinds of numbers, as if it's the fraction of where you are scrubbing and what is left on the timer.
It seems that the new version of Storyline would be fantastic for any projects without synchronized audio or animations....but, once you add one of those in, it gets so complex and overwhelming, it's hard to see this being viable with interactivity.
I was hoping these would be little bugs that would be fixed over the weekend, but, maybe not. Are these intentional? We will have to rollback if we cannot figure out how to not make NVDA/JAWS Repeat elements several times.
Can anyone offer some advice? Is anyone experiencing the same issues?
Can some please help with:
- How can we make auto read not happen
- How can we stop the screen reader from reading text without having to press control every time an item appears on screen.
- How do we prevent it from repeating random things like ‘Slide – Slide title, Slide slide title. Slide slide title.”