No accessibility with a screen reader when reading the header levels (H1, H2, H3 and so on) with Storyline 360

Aug 16, 2023

Dear Staff, we are testing the heading levels with storyline 360. The problem is that screen readers do not read the header levels. We tried both to edit and to create ad hoc slides with the header layers only (for example: H1, H2, H3 and so on). Screen Readers read the label, but do not consider them titrations. We tested with Jaws 2022 and NDVA. With the latter we could verify, through the opening of the panel, that there are no header levels, even if at the project level they were inserted. We also made tests with demos downloaded from forums and discussions storyline, but without success. Our hypothesis is that the screen reader does not read the text. We used the function headings present in storyline and created an order of focus through "focus order". In addition to loading the package into LMS platforms, we also launched it on a web page, but there is no difference.
What could be the problem?

Kindest regards

1 Reply
Lauren Connelly

Hi C B!

Thank you for sharing all of these details with us! I've tested this on my end using NVDA and viewing the course in Chrome, and I could access the headings using the "H" key.

Since you've already performed troubleshooting steps, it would be helpful if we could look at your .story file on our end. Would you mind sharing the .story file in this discussion or privately in a support case?

Again, thank you for sharing what you've tried so far!