Poor image quality in Storyline 360

Apr 30, 2018

Hey guys,

I have found a few threads on poor image quality of previous versions of Storyline, however the new 360 version has also very poor image quality when piblishing. Please see attached screenshot: original image in high resolution saved in png format, imported via Insert Image into Storyline (smaller size! should work fine!) and when published in HTML5 - you can see this low-quality soapy artifacts.

Please let me know where I can adjust image quality settings to avoid that. It seems not to matter how carefully original images are selected with a good quality -if the end result is poor. Please help!

Thank you!

135 Replies
Autumn Strausbaugh

I am also having issues with image quality in a storyline course. The image in question is blurred and very poor quality. We also have lines created in storyline that are now blurry and very poor. Tired with both types of players, tested on multiple different browsers and computers.  This seems like a critical flaw in the software - one that will drive us to use something else for our client's project.

Is a fix going to happen for this or is it still on some undetermined timeline?

Thank you,

Wendy

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are running into.

We do still have an open issue with blurriness with:

• Dashed Lines
  • Lines with Custom End Types
  • Arrows

This conversation is linked to the report so that we can pop in and share any updates we have with you here.

As far as having an issue with blurriness, do you know what version of Storyline you're using?

You can check by going to:
Help > About Articulate Storyline

We are currently on Build 3.29.19305.0 of Storyline 360. You can read all of the details here.

We have a couple of fixes from conversations here that have been corrected:

• Blurry text and images in Chrome - corrected in Update 26
  • Animated objects are slightly blurry when viewed in Chrome 73 - corrected in Update 29
Lauren Connelly

Hello Ann!

Thanks for sharing a screenshot of what you're experiencing! Have you resized the image after adding to Storyline?

If so, you'll always want to resize using the corners as that keeps the quality of the image intact!

Secondly, we do have tips on high quality media in Storyline! Take a look and let us know if you're still seeing blurry images.

Diarmaid Collins

If I import an image into a skewed picture box (Parallelogram) and view it in Chrome (Mac) it displays in Review as low-rez blurry pic as described in this thread.

If I change the shape of the picture box back to a normal rectangle and republish the image is displayed correctly, pin-sharp, as intended.

Here are the screengrabs. This top one has both images overlayed on each other. The background one has a rectangle frame. The top image of the boy has the skewed parallelogram frame. See how blurry it is. This screengrab is taken from Chrome OSX.

How it is in Chrome OSX

This image is taken from Edge Win10. Both images are pin sharp.

As it should be (viewed in Edge Win10)

Here is a link to the slide for demo purposes.

My... uh... "solution" or workaround is to simply apply the frame mask within Photoshop and import as a transparent PNG (see the background image) into a normal rectangular frame, but it is annoying that Storyline Frame Shapes are causing this glitch in Chrome.

Shauna Jungdahl

Hello,

Has there been any confirmed update/fix to this bug? Myself and my colleagues are still experiencing blurry screenshots when uploaded to S360. I've gone through this entire thread, followed almost all of the tips, and nothing has helped. It won't be of benefit for me to send my file, as it's the exact same as everyone else's. 

Please send an update as this fix is very crucial to productivity.

Thanks.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Shauna, 

Since the original report shared here, we've had many updates that corrected many of the issues shared.

In taking a look at the support cases shared here, for most users, it comes down to:

Best Practices for High-Quality Images and Videos

Specifically having an image that does not need to re-size to fit your slide.

If this does not fit what you are experiencing, it would be beneficial for us to take a look at your .story file to verify that you're not seeing an additional issue that we need to investigate.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi everyone!

Just popping in to notify you of our latest update to Storyline 360, which includes:

Fixed: Arrows and dashed lines were blurry when previewed or published.

To get the latest update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions. You can reply here or reach out to our Support Engineers directly.

Alain Dumais

Bonjour,

Même si le post date de quelques années, j'éprouve le même problème:

Je dois mettre à l'écran des plans d'architecte. Dans Photoshop, je les ai "resamplés" à 72 et à 96 ppi. L'image est crystal clear. Cependant, une fois importés dans SL360, elles deviennent automatiquement floues (voir fichier joint). Même si j'ai conservé leurs tailles à 100%.  Et j'ai aussi essayé tous les formats d'exportation supportés entre PS et SL: jpg, png8, png24, tiff...

Toutefois, quand j'utilise la même image dans d'autres applications (comme Paint, Camtasia, Snag-It, etc.) la qualité reste bonne. Donc, ce n'est pas l'exportation PS qui cause problème; mais son rendu dans SL360.

Est-ce qu'il y a une solution?
Est-ce que je m'y prends mal?
Je ne peux vraiment pas me permettre de remettre un produit comme ça au client.

Merci de vos conseils.

Alain

BENOIT GUILLO

Bonjour Alain,

Le sujet a toujours posé pour nous des difficultés de compréhension. Ce que nous avons coutume de faire, sans vérité scientifique mais qui semble porter ses fruits : enregistrer les fichiers à la dimension de la scène mais à haute résolution (ex. : scene = 1920x1080px alors img = 1920x1080px 300ppp).

Jon Doe

It is 2021 now and we can't insert sharp pictures into Storyline 360... This can't be brushed off as a "feature request". I tried everything and still Storyline can't seem to show the original pictures. It's just laughable because Storyline has soo much good features and it is a real machine, but it can't do a basic thing like inserting sharp images. For companies, screenshots are used regularly in e-learnings, tutorials and manuals, so this is really concerning. Hope this get's fixed soon. (My images are smaller than 2048 x 2048 and still appear blurry "There is a maximum image size of 2048 pixels x 2048 pixels. Images that are larger than this will lose quality when inserted into Storyline, which may make them appear blurry or fuzzy.")

I'm definitely going to convince my superiors to switch development tool because this is crazy.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Blair, 

Thanks for reaching out and sharing that you're running into a similar issue. 

If you're following our recommendations outlined in the following article, please share your .story file with our team here to take a closer look.

Storyline 360: Best Practices for High-Quality Images and Videos

Blair R

Already done, got feedback that it's an open bug.

I guess we'll wait for Storyline to fix image compression.

Be great if your developers could have solved inserting 2D photos before you rolled out 360 photos :)

*FYI the closest thing I've found to getting images to *not degrade is to size the canvas to the exact dimensions of an image. Not helpful if you don't need a background or full-screen image, but there you go.

Diarmaid Collins
Blair R

Be great if your developers could have solved inserting 2D photos before you rolled out 360 photos :).

In a nutshell, this!

Please, Articulate, take a step back. We understand the world is in the thrall of AGILE workflows and the pressure is to keep churning out incremental updates to seem like progress is being made. But it's not the only methodology out there.

What's the point of constantly doing a two-steps-forward-one-step-back approach? The amount of times I have had to roll back to an earlier version because some new update broke something that never broke before is ridiculous.

Address long-standing issues and concerns. Fix things that need fixing (bespoke module default sizes; image import issues, etc); Update things that need to be made usable (drawing tools; importing SVG files, etc); Make the app ultra-stable (64bit support; not freak out every time Format Painter is used, etc, etc, etc).

By taking a step back and looking at these core issues, long-standing and deeply exasperating concerns, that keep being raised you guys would be providing a completely positive experience that would show that you, as a company, are listening to us, the community of build developers who love the product but are utterly perplexed by the scatter-gun approach to real development.

No one is going to get neo-VR experiences if the app crashes when trying to format-paint images, or changing a font colour shifts the text one pixel, or hover states get over-ridden for some unfathomable reason, or whatever the glitch-de-jour is.

Thomas Fenner Jr

I find it sad, frustrating, and just plain dumb that this is still an issue. I added my own experience with poor image quality to this thread over three years ago and I'm still getting emails with new comments posted to this thread because this is still a problem. Three years!  And, Articulate staff are still asking people to send in their individual files. C'mon, Articulate, that's really just insulting at this point.