Problem with transparent background graphic in Master slide after upgrade aug. 22nd. 2023

Aug 23, 2023

We upgraded to yesterday's release this morning, and suddenly the transparent background graphic on the master slides is no longer transparent.

Is anyone else having that problem?

I thought it might just have been me - but my colleague has now reported it to. We've both reverted to the July release, and the problem is solved for now.

I've attached the three slides in the courses that have that background graphic, it might help.

I have reported it to Articulate support.

Pinned Reply
Eric Santos

Hi everyone,

I have some great news to share! We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Build 3.79.30921.0, we've included a couple of fixes.

One of the bugs we've fixed is: 

• Images with transparency appeared darker in the Storyline 360 editor

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

16 Replies
Jürgen Schoenemeyer

>course was published last in February/March?

I had a look in your .story file

• publish to LMS is correct to html5 - no Flash at all
  • publish to Web is wrong to Flash -> so local testing is a problem

fix:

• choose publish to Web
  • set to html5 only
  • publish
  • save the .story file
  • close storyline
  • now the complete Flash should be removed - forever for this file

now to your real problem - the transparency of images in the edit mode of flash

that's a known problem

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/transparency-in-edit-mode-different-that-preview

downgrade to 3.78 solves the transpareny problem until articulate will fix it

Anne-Renée Mauuarin

I'll have a look and follow your instructions - but, I am still at a loss, because there has been no publishing to flash for these files since december 2021 (we don't publish to web, only scorm and review).

I've released something like 6 versions of this course to Review and Scorm since Flash went away... So what has triggered flash to re-emerge all of a sudden after the new version of Storyline. It happened to my colleague's courses too, we work the same way with copies of courses where we just update content to match new software releases. 

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

storyline has its own settings for each different publish methode

if no one has ever used "publish to web" the original settings are not changed (there is no auto update to html5)

the whole flash issue is not really a problem for you, but i would still correct the templates

Anne-Renée Mauuarin

Are you saying that this is will happen to all courses that has ever been published to flash? But the why is this problem suddendly triggered in this update?
It can't just be that the course has been published in flash in it's history. Something in that update triggers this behaviour. And I'm not updating until I get an explanation (and a fix in later update).

We have close to 120 courses, this is a potential problem with all these courses. And it can't just be our problem?.

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

>But the why is this problem suddendly triggered in this update? 

the new SL update does not cause the problem with "publish to web" with flash

I have installed SL 3.60 (January 2022) and if I open your .story file and "publish to web" is set to "flash"

but if you never use "publish to web" it's not really a problem

Anne-Renée Mauuarin

Good morning!

A good night's sleep and now slightly less confused, I went to check out the Flash-issue but on another course.

Now I see what you mean, I don't even have to go to an older version than the july update, and the flash option is there to choose. It used to be available in SCORM too, until we had published them all to HTML-5.
Does this have any baring at all on the transparency issue at all? If it hasn't, I'll ignore it, since we don't publish to web.
Thanks for your patience - I'll see if I can find mine and re-innstall it. 🤦‍♀️😁

Steven Benassi

Hi Anne-Renee!

I see that you've been getting some great help from Jurgen, but I just wanted to pop in and share that our team is actively monitoring a bug that causes transparency to appear stronger than the numerical value for images in edit mode.

I've linked this conversation to the bug report and will update this thread as soon as we have any news to share. In the meantime, as a workaround, we suggest downgrading to an earlier version of Storyline 360 (Build 3.78.30747.0) where this behavior cannot be replicated.

We appreciate your patience and apologize if this issue has been slowing you down!

Eric Santos

Hi everyone,

I have some great news to share! We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Build 3.79.30921.0, we've included a couple of fixes.

One of the bugs we've fixed is: 

• Images with transparency appeared darker in the Storyline 360 editor

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!