Problem with working on Storyline 360 file with multiple machines.

Dec 12, 2018

With previous versions of Storyline, I was able to work on my laptop or desktop - basically any machine that had the software installed. Now, with Storyline 360, I'm noticing if I switch to a different machine, I get broken links/errors. For example, if I upload documents to the resources panel, or create a trigger that jumps to a file, if I'm not using the machine I originally created the file from, I get errors.

Also, I noticed the files become easily 'corrupted'. If I switch machines the file may say 'This file was created in a different version of Storyline, or is READ ONLY', and then the file is unusable. 

4 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Cass,

I can see that you are having a rough time as I just responded to another conversation of yours here, but let's see if we can get you back in good working order.

If you are moving files around, please be sure that you are following this workflow to prevent any corruption issues.

Are the versions the same on the machines that you're working on? 

If it's a particular machine causing the most difficulty, you may want to consider a repair of the software as well.

File corruption is unpredictable, and there's no straightforward way to determine what causes it. Common causes are environmental (disk errors, power outages, improper shutdowns), viruses, failed Windows updates, and even file size (i.e., very large files have a higher risk of corrupting). Consider using the preventative measures described in this article to protect your project files.

cass miller

Thanks, yes - I've been experiencing quite a few issues lately. 
I have been using Articulate products for 8 years now, so I know the drill - work locally and never from your network folder :) 
I will take your advice on running updates and/or repair and let you know.
Thanks for the guidance and quick response. 
Cassandra 

Phil Mayor

If you use triggers to attach files then these will break when published from a different ,machine if the file structure is different, this should not happen in resources as the file gets saved into the storyline file, if it does I would report the as a bug. You will however get issues if you open the resources and try to edit a file as the location may not be resolvable.

It may just be that your drives are getting mapped to different letters on different machines.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.