Publishing Storyline 360 with HTML5 Only still producing 90MB of SWF files

Nov 05, 2020

Hello,
We we all know, Flash has long had its day and will no longer be supported at the end of the year.  We've not been publishing to Flash for a while now (we use HTML 5 Only in Storyline 360) but the publish process is still generating 90MB of SWF files (500+ files).  This is causing considerable overhead for something that we don't need, is almost no longer supported and redundant.  Each JPG appears to have SWF counterpart. 

Anyone know if this is a bug in the Storyline 360 publish process?
And does anyone know how we still SL360 doing this? 

Thanks,
Chris

8 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience! It's odd that your .jpg files would also have a related .swf file created when you publish!

I'd like for our support engineers to take a closer look at your file and help figure out why this is happening! I've opened a case on your behalf and would appreciate you uploading it to your personal upload link here.

Once we're done testing, we'll reach out with next steps!

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Chris!

Thanks for raising this, and I'm sorry to hear about not receiving our email! 

My teammate, Darwin, reached out to the email tied to your E-Learning Heroes profile on 11/9/2020 (1:08 PM EDT) from support@articulate.com. I just resent the original response.

Could you check your spam and junk folders to see if the email got stuck there?

In the meantime, I'll share what our team found in case others have the same experience:

This is connected to an open bug in Storyline 360 where courses originally published with HTML5 with Flash Fallback and then HTML5-Only format still produce SWF/Flash files.

Chris Walsh

Thanks Katie,

I've got the email now that you've resent.  (I suspect I missed it in my spam folder or similar for time round). 

There's some information in it about clearing and reapplying "Jump-To-Time" triggers (whatever they are - I assume our authors will know) which we can try out and then republish against as HTML5.

Thanks again for sorting this and I'll let you know how it goes.
Chris

Lauren Connelly

Hello Chris!

I'm happy to return to this discussion with an update!

Today, we released Storyline 360 Update 48! Here are the features and fixes released in this update. You might notice the bug you reported has been fixed!

Fixed: When publishing a course with the classic player style and HTML5-only features, such as jump-to-time triggers or multiple completion criteria, the output erroneously included Flash files.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app! Thank you for taking the time to report this bug to us.