Publishing to Web

Feb 03, 2017

I am trying to send a client a completed Articulate file for them to upload on to their website. When I click "email" after publishing the file will not send. I uploaded the file onto a onedrive but they are unable to upload the content correctly so that someone can just click the story.html file and it plays. Is there a way to save this as a different format where all content is in one file vs multiple folders? Or, does anyone have any tips for me? Thank you!

11 Replies
Brittany Dean

HI Alyssa - 

No, they are telling me that they need all the files in the zip folder in one smooth document (i.e. a .mov, .MP4, etc.). By sending the the zip file they are not able to upload the content to their website because each individual user of the webinar would need to download it, change their flash settings, etc.

Is there any way to change the format?

Thanks,

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for that clarification, Brittany. Storyline 2 doesn't publish to a single file, but what you could do to accomplish this is make a screen recording of your course using a tool such as Replay or record it within Storyline 2 and export out the MP4. If you already have a license for Storyline 2, you can download Replay for free right here

Please keep in mind that you'll lose the ability for the user to interact with the course by doing this. If it's a course designed to just be watched by the learner and not interactive, however, this may be a good option for you. 

Hope that helps! :)

Brittany Dean

Alyssa - 

Thank you, this solidifies what I already thought. What are your suggestions for getting this program over to our client to upload to their website for a larger audience to view (without having the audience have to download the zip file, change their flash setting, etc.). Basically what I am asking is how can a large audience click on a link on their website and have the webinar just open up on their screen. What would the client have to do with the content I send them (the multiple folders, files.)

Thanks,

Brittany

Alyssa Gomez

It sounds like the best option would be for you to publish for Web, then upload the zip file to a web server. From there, you can get a URL that points directly to the published output on the web. Here's an example of a course that was published to Web and uploaded to a web server. As you can see, you don't need to download anything to view the content. Everything plays directly from the web. 

If you don't have access to a web server, Amazon S3 offers free hosting with generous usage limits. See this video tutorial by Tom Kuhlmann to learn more about Amazon S3. You can also use Tempshare, which is a free service provided by Articulate for testing Storyline content. Just keep in mind that files added to Tempshare are only available for 10 days, so you won't want to use that option if you need a long-term solution. 

I hope this is helpful, and feel free to let me know if you have more questions!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Brittany!

Can you please clarify what you mean by source code for the training? 

If you're looking to embed content into a web page, you'll need to have some knowledge of HTML coding as well as access to the source code for the web page where you want to embed your Storyline content. Let me know if that is what you were looking for, or if I'm way off base! 

Brittany Dean

Alyssa,

Source code as you explained is exactly what I'm looking for.

I was wondering if articulate created a file that would include all of the HTML. I was trying to find a way around the issues that Brittany has been experiencing.

Thanks for your help.
Jennifer (colleague of Brittany)
Performance Management Partners, Inc.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.