Publishing to Word

Feb 01, 2013

I run Storyline on my Mac using Parallels, and I'd like to export my script to give to the voiceover talent. As far as I know, the only way to do this without copying and pasting is by publishing to a Word document. However, I run Word on my Mac side of things, and don't have Word for Windows, so I keep getting an error when I try to publish to Word. Is there any other way, or am I stuck copying and pasting?

Thanks in advance!

13 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Arend,

Right, I can see how that would be an issue. I don't believe there's anyway to get the publish to Word feature to work properly if you're crossing the environments. The only thing I can think of, right off the bat, is maybe trying a free version of Word, or one of the free alternatives. I would need to be installed on the Windows side. However, if you're using Word on the Mac side, I assume you're using a licensed copy. Are you not able to install it on the Windows side, as well?

Thanks!

Christine

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Arend,

Right, I didn't think the Mac version would work cross-platform. What I meant was to get the Windows version on the Windows side, with the product registration information - but, as I mentioned, I'm not sure if you'd be able to do this, either.

Here's what I'm wondering: When you publish to Word, it should create the file in a directory. At this point, the file is created, but you can't launch it from Word on the Mac side, right? Are you able to move that document onto the Mac side at all? If you can't do so with file sharing, maybe you could email the .doc to yourself and launch it on the Mac side with Word? I'm not sure if you've tried this already, just a thought

Christine Hendrickson

Oh really? That's good to know, actually. Are your project files all local, or are they on a network drive, USB drive, etc.?

The files should be local and on the Windows side. I'm pretty sure you may already be working with them like this, but it couldn't hurt to ask - especially if this is happening before the file is even created.

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Arend,

Shoot. Well, it was worth a try! 

Have you tried this with any other project files, by the way, or just the one? If you haven't already, can you try creating a new, blank course and see if you receive the same error when publishing for Word? If you don't see the same error, can you share the .story file here? I can try to publish it to Word and see if it' will publish successfully on my end. 

Thanks!

Christine Hendrickson

Ok, thank you. At least we know it isn't the course, itself. 

Any chance you can try downloading the tree trial from Microsoft on the Windows side? I'm not sure what version of Windows you have installed on that side, but you should be able to get the trial version here. It is an older version, though, so I'm not sure if it'll still be available. There is a free trial for Office 365, as well, if you want to try that. 

Steve Qunell

My company recently switched to this format for creating scripts for talent. What a pain! I use a Mac with Bootcamp (parallels was just too buggy for me). Hopefully Articulate will come up with a solution quickly. 

Why wouldn't it be able to just publish a .word file (or whatever the extension is) and then open it with a compatible reader?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Steve, 

This thread is a bit older, so I'm not sure of the issue you're running into matches as described here. You could publish to Word and it's a .doc file you're looking for, but you'll need to have Word installed to be able to use that publishing set up. 

We've heard a number of requests for Mac Storyline version, and you're welcome to share your thoughts on the need for that as well in the form of a feature request. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.