Publishing without Flash

Jul 23, 2016

I have a client that does not install Flash on their desktop or laptop PCs. Is there a way I can publish Storyline content so that it will automatically play using HTML5 instead of Flash on desktop and laptop PCs?

7 Replies
Gary Bartanus

I'm very new to Storyline and could be way out to lunch, but I've been testing it by simply using the story_html5.html file in my link instead of the story.html file.  It seems to work without causing any major problems, but, again, I could be very wrong about this.  (Hopefully, an expert will chime in to share some insight.)

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Lou!

You cannot publish the content without Flash.

Articulate Storyline lets you publish courses for Flash, HTML5, and the Articulate Mobile Player app. To distribute your published content, upload it to your web server or LMS, then link to the story.html file in the published output. Here’s how Storyline determines which version of your content to display when learners view it.

As Gary mentioned as well, some simply share the story_html5.html file as well.

INK STUDIO

You can try physically deleting all the files with .swf extension and also delete story.html and index.html and rename story_html5.html to story.html and index_html5.html to index.html. By and large it will work to a certain level. However, I have encountered 2 key issues when testing:

1. Audio will not  play - which I suspect the swf player is used as the default audio player. 

2. The Print Results button does not work - i.e. click and nothing happens

With the impending move by major browsers to stop support flash soon, I think it should be about time Articulate revisit this and address the concerns. I recall seeing similar discussion here more than 2 years ago and to date seems like no progress has been made. 

So far I have resorted to using Lectora Publisher 12 and 16 to meet this need. Someone has also recommended me to look at iSpring, which I may do so soon.

Hope this helps.

Khoon

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Khoon,

Our team has continued our focus on HTML5 output and looking at ways in which we can provide HTML5 only or first - it's something we feel strong about and have committed a lot too going forward, but we don't have a date/timeline yet in regards to when that will be available. We will certainly keep folks posted once there is additional information to share. 

INK STUDIO

Thank you Ashley. Looking forward to the update. I have been "forced" to move away from using Articulate Storyline or other related products for a dozen or so projects for the last 6 months as their IT and System teams have since disallowed the use or upload of any flash (.swf) files to their systems. The longer this takes, I think we will most likely stop using Articulate Storyline soon. Personally I like the product, but if this does not allow me to deliver the necessary to our clients, we will need to seek alternative tools, even though they may not be as good for now.

Personally, I see more of this happening in the coming months.

Hope to hear some good news from Articulate soon.

Khoon Huat

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.