Quiz review

Nov 04, 2013

I'm having an issue with the quiz review in my project.  Even though all of the questions are answered correctly, when I review the quiz, I get a red "incorrect" ribbon across the bottom of the screen.   I am guessing that it has to do with my variables, etc., but can't seem to figure out what's causing it or how to fix it. 

Here's what the presentation is supposed to do: For each topic, you get to "learn" or "challenge".  If you get 100% of the challenge, you go back and choose another topic. If you don't get 100% on the challenge, you are automatically taken to the "learn" to hear the information, then back to try the challenge again.  If you don't get 100% the second time, you have a choice to hear the info again or try the challenge again (just in case you accidentally hit the wrong anser.).  Once you have aced all the challenges, you are done.    Everything works the way it's supposed to, unless you choose to review the quiz!  Then you get those red ribbons and you are taken to the "you didn't pass" slide and end up in an endless loop. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Otherwise, I will have to remove the "review quiz" button, and I don't really want to do that.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45207112/IRS2014.story

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45207112/story.html

8 Replies
Julia Koller

Hi Ellen,

I looked at your file for a minute, you're getting this behavior because your Slide Properties > When Revisiting are set to: Reset to Initial State. What is happening is, the slide resets when the review runs, so as you can see, there is no answer selected in the radio button set. Therefore, Storyline evaluates the question as incorrect. I don't know if you have the Slide Property set that way for a particular reason, but it may be helpful to play with the other two options to see if they will fit your needs. I generally use Automatically Decide, but it doesn't cover every situation.

Hope this helps a bit.

Julia

Ellen Wahlen

Thank you for your response.  That was my first thought too, but I set the properties to reset to initial because the user may have to take the quiz again if they don't pass the first time.  I only want them to be able to answer once each time through, so I set  the quiz to only allow one answer.  If I use the Automatically decide, when they go back to take the quiz again, their first answer appears and they are not allowed to change it.  Is there a way to set this up differently so it does what I need? 

Julia Koller

Good morning Ellen,

I seem to remember having the same problem when I first developed a quiz with Storyline. I believe what you need is a trigger somewhere that will "reset (x.x review results) results" when the user clicks. I have that trigger attached to a Retry button. Though, you could add it to any button really.

The way your file is set-up... maybe create a Boolean variable that will keep track of whether or not a quiz has been taken. And then, if the user selects "Challenge", and the quizTaken variable is True, that triggers the "reset results"...

Julia Koller

Hey Ellen,

I added the trigger to the Challenge Filing Cabinet and it seems to work fine without a variable. I've been trying to upload the modified file with zero success, but I do know that if it is the first trigger, before the "Jump to slide..." trigger. And all the quiz slides are set to Automatically Decide, both the review and retry will work correctly.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.