Results Slides

Jul 18, 2014

I am wanting to offer the persons taking my quiz the option to see what question they have got wrong and then ask them to re-sit the question they got wrong.

I know I can add the review and retry buttons however I am just wanting to show the incorrect questions.

Is there a way I can do this?

1 Reply
Greg Faust

Yes, that should be doable with triggers. Attached is an example I made with just two questions. The thinking behind it is as follows:

Take the normal "Retry Quiz" mechanic. Now, you want three extra functions:

1. During the quiz, track which questions the student got right. Storyline obviously does this, but it doesn't give us access to these variables.
  2. Use the above tracked data to skip certain slides during a retake.
  3. If the skipped slide is a question, trick Storyline into registering it as having been answered correctly.

Declare a variable for each question:

Q1Correct; type: True/False; default value: False

Q2Correct; type: True/False; default value: False

Q3Correct; type: True/False; default value: False

etc.

Now, on Q1, the user must NOT be allowed to leave the slide without Q1Correct being set to match the user's response.

It's tempting to put a trigger on the Submit button, but this isn't good enough. If a user:

• Selects an answer
  • Navigates away from the question slide with the menu
  • Goes to the Results slide

This will lock in whatever answers the user selected without them ever clicking the Submit button.

So we need another way to track the user's response.

In a "Pick One" multiple choice question, we can set Q#Correct to become true/false when the state of the correct answer becomes selected/not selected. (see example)

Now, it's tempting to put a trigger on every slide that says, "Jump to Slide: Next Slide (show conditions) If Q#Correct = True". I'm not doing this, because of navigation issues.

Instead, when the "Retry" button is pressed on the Results page, lock the values of the Q#Correct variables to another set of variables. I'll call them Q1Skip, Q2Skip, etc. (see triggers on the "Retry" button on the example).

You'll need one such trigger for each question. Note that these triggers must come before the "Reset" and "Jump to Slide" triggers on the Retry button.

2a.

Now, we know that if any question's corresponding Q#Skip variable is set to True, then that slide can be safely skipped. Hence, each question gets a trigger:
Jump to Slide: Next Slide

When: Timeline starts

If Q#Skip = True

But before a question slide is skipped, it needs to be set to the correct answer.

In a "Pick One" multiple choice, this can be done with a trigger that looks like:

Change State of: [button corresponding to the correct answer]

To Selected

When Timeline Begins

If Q#Skip = True

And voila! Your quiz has a feature to autoskip correctly-answered questions.

Does that help?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.