SL360 July 11 Update Breaks course behavior

Jul 13, 2017

All our courses use restricted navigation.  Some slides in each course use triggers to disable the next button until the learner completes an action on that slide.

SL360's feature enhancements to restrict PREV/NEXT is problematic.  Learners will like  how it grays out the NEXT button that restricted navigation previously left appearing enabled.  Unfortunately, the enhancement unconditionally enables the NEXT button when the timeline ends allowing the learner to proceed to the next slide without completing the on-screen actions.

If we un-check the "disable PREV/NEXT" in Player / Menu / Restrict navigation, then the NEXT buttons are enabled on every slide breaking the restricted behavior.

We would appreciate someone putting forth a workaround.  If there is none, can we fall back to the previous release of Storyline 360?

Sam

16 Replies
Sam Carter

The feature requested was that the navigation buttons be grayed out.  There was no request to unconditionally change the state to normal if the author triggered it to be disabled.

I am sure this poorly implemented feature will break many courses in the field.  I am also sure the enhancement can be done without breaking courses.

Sam

Wendy Farmer

Hi Sam

I've done a couple of tests in SL360 - not sure if this helps you but test 3 showed I could use state change triggers as long as the new option was UNTICKED

Test 1:

1. Player setting - Menu restricted with the option to Restrict Prev/Next buttons unticked
  2. No Change state triggers

Result: Next button enabled at timeline end - clickable and go to next slide

Test 2:

1. Player setting - Menu restricted with the option to Restrict Prev/Next buttons ticked.
  2. No Change state triggers

Result: Next button enabled at timeline end - clickable and go to next slide

Test 3:

1. Player setting - Menu restricted with the option to Restrict Prev/Next buttons unticked.
  2. Change state of Next button to disabled when timeline starts
  3. Change state of Next button to normal when state of x is visited

Result: Next button NOT enabled at timeline end - honours the triggers.

Test 4:

1. Player setting - Menu restricted with the option to Restrict Prev/Next buttons ticked
  2. Change state of Next button to disabled when timeline start
  3. Change state of Next button to normal when state of x is visited

Result: Next button enabled at timeline end - DOES NOT honour the triggers - clickable and go to next slide

Sam Carter

The short: SL360 June update unconditionally controls state of NEXT in restricted mode.

The simplest solution I've found is to suppress the NEXT button on slides requiring learner interaction and add a graphic NEXT button on-screen that I can control the state.

It's a lot of work across so many courses.  Especially problematic when a client wants a minor change in an already-published course.  Lots of reworking to do to get the behavior right.

Sam

Billy Grenfell

I agree that this change seems to have missed the mark and should not be unconditional. As Sam mentioned, minor course updates will no longer be a quick process and will require significant time and effort.

One workaround we've found was to use a Restricted menu with Restricted Next/Previous buttons and then use the "Pause Timeline" trigger right before the timeline ends to force the user to take some sort of action. When the user satisfies the interactive requirement, we use the "Resume Timeline" trigger to enable the Next button.

Example: We have a slide with a 5-second timeline and a slider interaction that goes from values 0-4. We want the learner to advance when they've reached the final step in the slider (value of 4). For triggers, "Pause Timeline" when timeline reaches 4.75 seconds, then "Resume Timeline" when the slider is equal to 4. The timeline ends after .25 seconds and the learner can advance.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.