SL360 Notes text is extremely large on mobile devices

Aug 10, 2017

I've noticed that on mobile devices (I'm testing on tablets right now), the Notes text in the mobile menu appears extremely large, at around 40 pt. This is the case in the SL360 preview on my computer, as well as on iPads and Android tablets that I view a course with.

The mobile view ignores the formatting that you can apply to affects desktop experiences. It's kind of an odd design choice, and is really out of place when there is no other case of such large text in the mobile web player. It could benefit from being significantly smaller.

On the other hand, text in the mobile web player's Glossary panel seems appropriately sized.

Have others seen this? Are there any ways to adjust this? Or should I make a feature request?

9 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Scott,

What have you set for the player font sizing and the notes text itself? You can format the notes individually as shown here. 

I did a quick test changing the notes text there - and set one much larger than the other as you'll see in the mobile preview, so you can modify this on a slide by slide basis.

If you'd like to share a copy of your .story file I'm also happy to look at your settings! 

Scott L

Hi Ashley,

I had been setting the player font from the default 100% to 120% to bump up some of the player's UI labels. As for the Notes area, this doesn't have an effect in making changes to the font size. Setting the player font to 70%, 100% or 150% makes no change for me.

I can control the mobile player's Notes font down to a reasonable size if I set the font size of the Notes for the slide to, say, 8 pt. But then on the desktop view, this is too small.

I've attached a screen shot comparing 8 pt in the desktop preview vs 8 pt in a tablet preview, and also the SL360 file.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks Scott for letting me test out your file and sharing some more images! 

I reached out to a few members of my team, and they wanted to investigate it a bit more as a possible software bug. 

From here, I’ll meet with my team to take a closer look so we can determine next steps. Sometimes my team catches errors in my logic and we don’t have a bug after all. Of course, if that’s the case, I’ll let you know!

Depending on priority and risk, some bugs can be fixed quickly, while others take longer to resolve.

I’ll let you know as soon as we have an update on this issue. Thanks so much again for letting us know about this, and I’m sorry if it’s slowing you down.

Jana Godwin

I'm having the same problem here. The Notes text just doesn't seem to scale in the same way that the other fonts do, i.e.; the slide fonts gets proportionately smaller as screen size gets smaller, but Notes seems to stay the same. Perhaps it's browser-dependent?

Also, I posted a course on 360.articulate.com and am viewing on an iPhone 7 in Safari (and Chrome) and I cannot scroll in the Notes area to see the text that is below the fold.

Lauren Connelly

Hi everyone!

We've released the fix for this bug in our newest version of Storyline 360! In Update 36 (Build 3.36.21213.0), you'll see the text in the mobile version is formatted like how it would behave on a desktop site.  The font isn't resized to cover the entire notes section which is what you've seen in previous versions.

If you're not on the most updated version of Storyline 360, follow these quick instructions to update your Articulate 360 Desktop App.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.