SSML not working on Storyline 360

Dec 28, 2023

Is there any setting that I must do before I can use the Speech Synthesis Markup Language on storyline 360? I tried using it and it works on some slides but not on the others. Can someone advise me on how to overcome it. 

Thanks

Loy

Pinned Reply
Steven Benassi

Hi Everyone!

I'm happy to share that we just released Storyline 360 (Build 3.84.31647.0) which includes the fix for the bug:

• Storyline reads the SSML tags in the TTS script if there is a blank space or line break at the beginning/end of the code

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app to take advantage of the newest bug fixes and features!

If you run into any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team by submitting a support case.

7 Replies
Eric Santos

Hi Fookloy,

I'm sorry you've hit this snag with SSML; I'm happy to help! Kindly check if the narration conforms with the article below, including enclosing your text-to-speech narration with a pair of <speak> tags and using the supported SSML tags.

If the issue persists, would you be willing to share a copy of your Storyline file here or privately through a support case so we can look at how the narration is set up? We'll delete it when we're done! 

Michael Marcos

Hello Fookloy, 

What is happening for the slides that SSML doesn't work, is it reading out the tags along with the text, or is it not working outright. You'll know it is the latter because the prompt will ask you to check for compatibility. 

If the SSML tags are being read along with the text, make sure you don't have a white space or blank new line at the end of your script. If you do, remove the extra line/blank space and try generating the TTS again. If you feel comfortable sharing the script here we can help you troubleshoot further.

Jane Hansen

I am running into a similar situation where I am getting an error that the text can't be converted. I'm currently testing these voices in a brand new Storyline project as well. I've tried with multiple voices, checked for extra lines or spaces, and turned on/off captions all with the same result. 
I previously had an extra line after the final </speak>, and it would generate the captions but just read the tags aloud. I've attached a copy of my test project.

Michael Marcos

Hi Jane, stepping in for Joe. 

When I opened up the file, I needed to delete the extra line, and then it threw the error saying it could not convert the text. I found that you were missing the closing </prosody> tag for the prosody rate you set at the beginning of the text. 

<speak>
<prosody rate="medium">The APP Center provides a library of APPs which represent customer use cases of prior developed workflows. These APPs provide users a collection of real customer stories for how users have applied to a wide range of tissues, disease types, and biomarkers.</prosody>
</speak>
Steven Benassi

Hi Everyone!

I'm happy to share that we just released Storyline 360 (Build 3.84.31647.0) which includes the fix for the bug:

• Storyline reads the SSML tags in the TTS script if there is a blank space or line break at the beginning/end of the code

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app to take advantage of the newest bug fixes and features!

If you run into any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team by submitting a support case.