Step by step-calculation (with only one right answer) in Storyline 360

Feb 24, 2021

Hi everyone, 

I'd like to create a calculation via Storyline and hope there's someone who can help me solve my problem.

The idea is, that the learner gets tasks that build on each other. It's cut in small parts and the learner has to fill in some numbers for each task so that he gets some intermediate results, which should be used later on to go ahead with a new calculation.

For example: The learner should calculate expenses for salaries (via filling in the numbers asked for, which are given in a text)

- number of teachers: 10   
- average salary: 200
- salaries in total: 2.000

10 and 200 has to be filled in and 2.000 should be calculated "automatically" by pushing a button ("calculate"). I found different videos for that, but my problem is another: It's important, that the learner is only getting to the next step in the calculation by typing in the RIGHT number. So there should be a "wrong"-feedback if the learner types in any other number than 10 in the first or any other number than 200 in the second box. 

Is there any possibility to implement my idea in Storyline and is there anyone who can help me with that? 

Thank you so much and have a nice day

Denise

2 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Denise, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes! ✨

You can achieve what you are looking for by using layers as feedback. The idea is once the user clicks the calculate button, Storyline will check the values, and if they are incorrect, then a layer will show up, telling them to try again.

I created a Peek 360 recording showing you my suggestions, and I am also attaching a sample .story file.

Let me know if this works!