.story vs .storytemplate vs Team Slides in Storyline 360

Apr 17, 2019

I'm trying to understand when / if I would ever save or share a course as a .storytemplate file, or why that is, or ever was, a necessary feature.

I have a small team of ID's. Before 360, if I wanted to send them a course to build off of, I could simply send them the .story file. They could import it and away they go! I don't see where .storytemplate files would be needed in this scenario.

Now, with Storyline 360, the concept of .storytemplates seems even more unnecessary. Now, I can simply send my team the .story file as before, or load it into the new "Team Slides" folder and they can access it from there.

Am I missing something? Why would we ever need to share something as a .storytemplate file when we could simply email the .story file back and forth or just load it into Team Slides?

Thanks.

3 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Greg, that's an excellent question! Really, it comes down to personal preference.

When you use a .storytemplate file, that template will be saved under My Templates. You can then go to My Templates any time in the future to use that template again. Essentially, this will help you keep your template files organized. You may have a similar organizational method for your Storyline files, too!

Team Slides functions in the same way, except you won't need to email files to anyone on your Articulate 360 team. As soon as you upload slides to Team Slides, anyone on your team can access them from their instance of Storyline. 

Overall, you have quite a few options when it comes to collaborating and sharing projects, so choose the method that works best for you!

Ned Whiteley

Hi Greg,

Further to what Alyssa has said above, one of the big advantages of Storyline template files is that, if you have a corporate layout or a particular style that you wish to use over and over again, you can set the whole thing up as a template, including all your master slide variants for everything from your main menu to your question slides.

Sure, you can just open a previous Storyline file in the format that you want to use, but the first thing you then have to do is to delete all the slides that you don't want to use and edit those that you do. At the end of the day, it is entirely up to you, but I personally find it easier to work with templates when appropriate.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.