Storyline 360 accessibility

Nov 09, 2016

So far, SL360 is really looking great!

My question is related to accessibility. SL2 did not have accessible HTML5. Has that changed with SL360?

Thanks for any insight you can provide,

Erich

10 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Erich!

Here are two articles you might find helpful - the first one includes information on accessible HTML5.

If you run into any other questions, don't hesitate to reach out to our Success team here!

dan richards

It looks like hyperlinks still cannot be activated with the keyboard only. I just ran an HTML5/Flash Fallback example in IE 11 with JAWS 16 running. JAWS announced the text field with a hyperlink as a button and that it could be activated with the Space Bar. It didn't work. I had to click the link to activate it. I tried other key strokes in an effort to drill down to the hyperlink itself but to no avail. See attached example. Here's a link to the example running on my web server: http://www.interactiveadvantage.com/testing/hyperlink/story.html 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Natalia, 

Did you take a look at Mat's recommendations in that other discussion: 

Links:  They are not being recognized as links by a screen reader because they are embedded in a text box, not separated out as individual objects.  To a screen reader, a text box means just that - text to be narrated.  You will need to reincorporate those links into your content as individual web objects.  That way, they become a distinct object that is identifiable by a screen reader as a link, not just text.  One solution would be to create a button with a label that identifies the website.  Insert the web object on a slide layer.  Create a trigger for the button to show that layer. (Note, too, the web object feature has a setting designating it should be opened in the slide rather than in a new window.)

If you have links inside a regular text box, you could use her recommendation or add in a hotspot with a trigger to launch that URL.

Karin Carlson

Thanks for the workarounds. It would be great if Articulate could make a page with all the workarounds for the fact that Storyline is not fully accessible. I think it's misleading that the article cited above is named "Storyline 360 is Compliant..." It's NOT compliant. (no headings, no lists, no links...) It's much better with every revision, but it'd be nice if the official "how to" articles had actual information for what does NOT work as well as what does. It's great you are improving the product, but users don't feel more warm and fuzzy toward Articulate if you tell us that something is working when it clearly is not. I for one value transparency and practical advice over a façade of functionality, which just feels like marketing.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Karin!

Transparency is so important, and I understand how frustrating miscommunication is. Since this is a dated discussion, I want to point you to my favorite accessibility resources that focus on what's available for authors currently and what is on the roadmap!

First, here's our current roadmap! You'll see a majority of our focus has been on Accessibility this year. As you've said, we've released many features already, but there are several accessibility features in the works. 

Secondly, you've mentioned Headings, Links, and Lists. We just released text styles, including Headings level 1-4, Normal text, 2 Custom Styles, and a Hyperlink style. Lists are currently in Beta! 

Lastly, we have an All About Accessibility Series that shares updated information about what Accessibility looks like in Articulate 360.

Please let me know if I can offer additional details!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.