Storyline 360 - Alt text in Tab order - Possible to change language?

Apr 23, 2020

Hello, everyone.

We are working on an accessible module, in English. There are 15 modules in all. As we live in Quebec, there are some slides, sometimes, that have some French text. As you might imagine, the screen reader butchers that alt text in the Tab Order.

For some small words, we've modified the pronunciation playing around with the pronunciations that NVDA spells out, but, for long sentences, this is not sustainable.

For HTML pages, you can correct this with a Span tag, but, we tried that in Storyline, and it did not work.

Is there any way to achieve this currently, with Storyline 360 within the Tab order of a slide, for just certain elements? 

Sometimes text is interspersed with foreign phrases. For example:

In Matanzas, we tried a dish called ropa vieja—which literally translates as “old clothes.”
“C’est la vie,” Harold sighed, as he watched his Volvo tumble off the cliff.
In Rome, Ellen was shocked by a film called La Donna Nella Doccia.
In such cases, the lang attribute is typically applied to a <span> tag. This flags a temporary departure from the previously-specified document language. Here’s the code for the three passages above:

In Matanzas, we tried a dish called <span lang="es">ropa vieja</span>—which literally translates as “old clothes.”
<span lang="fr">“C’est la vie,”</span> Harold sighed, as he watched his Volvo tumble off the cliff.
In Rome, Ellen was shocked by a film called <span lang="it">La Donna Nella Doccia</span>.

6 Replies
Lauren Connelly

Hi Michael!

Thank you for explaining your troubleshooting steps and sharing a screenshot!

This is a topic we've discussed before as it is a common task to build a course that has two languages. 

If the screen reader language is set to French, then it should pronounce French words correctly. If the screen reader language is set to English, it may not pronounce French words correctly.

Currently, some screen readers may support proper pronunciation for words that are common in other languages. So it's possible words would be pronounced correctly, even when set to English.

In short, it depends on the language set for the screen reader.

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Michael!

I appreciate you reaching out to our team and taking the time to circle back.

Key details for those following along:

• Currently, there isn't a feature that can change the language of how the screen reader will read the text in Storyline 360.
  • One approach is to spell certain words phonetically in the tab order. For more details on customizing the tab order, check out this resource.

We'll share this idea as a Feature Request with the right team. Thanks for bringing it up!

Teresa Hahn

Is there any forward progress on this request. This is important feature. I am working on a course that teaches Russian and trying to use phonetic spellings is not always accurate. I would hate to have to build all my content in html just so I can use thelang tag to tag text. Screen readers can handle text that is tagged very well.