storyline 360 bug fix: learners could get stuck...

Dec 07, 2022

I'd like to know more about the bug fix in November 7, 2022 (Build 3.69.28997.0) listed only as: "Fixed: Learners could get stuck on the correct feedback layer when they answered a quiz question correctly, then exited and resumed the course."

I believe a common technique in quiz questions is as follows:

• Create a variable e.g., q1submitted default value False;
  • Create trigger to set Next to disabled if q1submitted=False when timeline starts;
  • On both feedback layers create two triggers: set q1submitted=True, and change state of Next to enabled;
  • Set the question screen to resume saved state on revisit.

This shows a disabled Next button when you get to the screen, it gets enabled when you submit an answer, and if you revisit the screen later Next is enabled so you can move forward even though you can't do the question again.

The problem has been, that if the user submitted the question, then exited the course (without going to another screen); because the q1submitted variable update did not get saved (because the user did not go to another screen) when the user launched the course again and resumed to the last-visited screen, the user would be stuck because Next is disabled because of the first trigger setting it to disabled if q1submitted is false. The update to true didn't get saved because the user didn't go to another screen. But because the screen was set to resume saved state, the question has already been submitted and can't be submitted again (that part Storyline DOES save even if you don't go to another screen) and the user is stuck because Next is disabled.

So I created a new .story file with the latest version of Storyline 360 (3.70) with all of the above, and, I added another variable var1 default of False and a button on the question screen to set it to True. Here's what happens in the following scenarios where each is a new launch of the course:

(1) Get to the question screen, do only submit, exit, launch, resume: q1submitted is True--the value got saved even though I didn't go to another screen.

(2) Get to the question screen, submit AND set var1 to True, exit, launch, resume: BOTH q1submitted AND var1 are True--both of the values got saved even though I didn't go to another screen.

(3) Get to the question screen, do not submit but DO set var1 to True, exit, launch, resume: var1 is False--the value did NOT get saved.

So it seems the following description of this bug fix is more accurate and I'd love for Articulate to verify this:

It is now the case that when a question is submitted, variable updates are saved at submission, they are no longer saved only when going to another screen.

Again, in (3) above I did not submit and var1 change was NOT saved but in (2) var1 change WAS saved. So it is NOT the case that Storyline is saving updates to variables WHEN they get updated across the board, Storyline is still only saving updates to variables when you go to another screen with the following new exception: variable updates on a screen ARE saved without having to go to another screen if it is a question screen AND the question is submitted.

I really want to know if this is exactly what is going on because the fact that Storyline doesn't save a variable update until you go to another screen has been quite maddening for years. Is THAT what Storyline does now? Saves updated variable values when question is submitted? (But still otherwise only saves variable updates when you go to another screen.)

Thanks!

5 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello David, 

Thanks for providing such a detailed description of the troubleshooting that you did to test a functionality in Storyline 360. I created a case on your behalf so our support team can chime in with their thoughts. Someone from our support team will be reaching out to you to confirm if the behavior you're experiencing is expected or not! 

David Kelling

Here is the response I got from Articulate in a support case. I have not verified it; a tidal wave of work washed over me and I've not been able to get to it yet. But here is their response:

<articulate response begin>

I was able to test and confirm your findings and can confirm that the behavior that you notice has started to happen since Update 69 onwards.

While it's true that submitting the quiz will also save the variable values, the approach for the fix for "Learners could get stuck on the correct feedback layer when they answered a quiz question correctly, then exited and resumed the course." is actually not connected with the submit button.

As it turns out, opening any layer from any slide will now cause the suspend_data/resume data to update, and all variable values will be saved as a result. Since submitting the quiz slide will cause the Feedback layer to show, then suspend_data and variable data are saved without needing to jump to another slide.

<articulate response end>

David Kelling

My problem is solved. I only need the variable to be set when the question is answered. In this case, the variable change is saved because the feedback layer appeared, not because I clicked Submit (however, clicking Submit did cause the feedback layer to appear, but the feedback layer appearing is what causes the variable change to be saved, not clicking Submit). In my case, I don't need a variable change to be saved until I submit an answer (which displays a feedback layer which saves the variable change). I only included (3) above to illustrate my point; I don't need it to work that way. Therefore, my problem is solved.