storyline 360: hotspot quiz with video

Oct 16, 2017

Hello All,

One of the things I admire about Storyline 360 is its ability to make a screencast interactive for the learner. Creating the hotspots with rollover text, so the learner can try the software steps is super useful and engaging. I was wondering, however, if this could be taken a step further and turned into a free-form quiz. Do you think this is possible? I know it is for an image.

Thanks so much!

7 Replies
Andrew Ratner

Hi Alyssa,

It looks like this is actually what I was looking for, as I was originally thinking of software testing. However, I was also thinking about reporting data -- the description you sent does say it generates a results page, but does it also generate data that the ID and/or client could also receive, as well?

Could, for example, clicking and dragging objects be incorporated into a screencast? Or, perhaps, be incorporated into a video that does not involve software? It might provide a level of interactivity that could expand the usage of video content in Storyline 360, maybe.

When you envisioned what I was talking about, did you have any particular things in mind?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Andrew! It looks like you've got a few different questions here--let's tackle them one at a time.

1. Reporting data: If you include a results slide at the end of the step-by-step test mode scene, the data will be sent to your learning management system. Here's more information on exactly what kinda of data is sent. 
  2. Adding a drag-and-drop activity: Yes, you can certainly insert a drag-and-drop activity anywhere in your test mode scene! Since it won't be automatically included in the screen recording, you'll have to set it up manually. 
  3. A video that does not involve software: Can you tell me more about what you had in mind? Did you want to use the screen recording tool to record another kind of video?
Andrew Ratner

I think I just found an answer to my question in one of the links I recently received from eLearning Heroes. This is a super interesting use of video and interactive elements. 

Do you know how the author was able to lay the interactive element over the video? And also create an open-response function that triggers a branching scenario? It's super clever. Anyway, thanks so much for your help. If getting in touch with the author is the best bet, then I can do that.

Appreciate your help!

Andrew Ratner

Hello Alyssa,

I'm following up because I've run into a novice issue. I'd like to use a pre-recorded screencast already saved as an mp4 file that was not recorded using Storyline 360, rather Camtasia 9. Is it possible to do the import-->export process to make that pre-recorded screencast into a step-by-step? Let me know when you can.  Thanks!

Andrew

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Andrew!

You'll want to use Storyline's screen recording tool to generate step-by-step slides. This is because Storyline records your mouse clicks and uses that data to determine how the recording should be divided into individual steps. You won't be able to generate step-by-step slides with a video recorded outside of Storyline. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.