Storyline 360 keeps crashing

Jul 02, 2021

Hi, Storyline 360 has started crashing randomly today. Normally after a couple of minutes after re-starting. Not doing anything particular just random freezing then closing or bringing up the feedback box.

16 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Richard,

I'm curious if the issue happens in any course you are working on or just this particular one?

• If you cannot re-create the issue in a new course, I would advise you to import the file into a new one and proceed.
  • If it's happening in any/all files, you should conduct a repair of your software.
Richard Gibbs

Hi Leslie,

It would appear to be only this one course I am working on. Just a bit more information, the preview function has stopped working with this course as well. I am using quite a few videos created in VYOND for a branching scenario, could the number of videos have an effect on this?

Kind Regards

Richard Gibbs TAP.mdip
Passenger Car Technical Course Developer
Mercedes-Benz Cars UK Limited
Training & Development
MK15 8BA

Telephone: +44 (0) 1908 245298
email: richard.gibbs@daimler.com

/// coverings.ages.graduated

A company registered in England and Wales
Registration Number: 2448457
Registered Address: Tongwell, Milton Keynes, MK15 8BA

This email is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender IMMEDIATELY. You should not copy the email or use it for any purpose or disclose its content to any other person.

[GT01071]

If you are not the addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail by mistake, and delete it. We thank you for your support.

Richard Gibbs

Hi Leslie,

I have uninstalled Articulate 360 from the app, reinstalled it and re-booted my computer as per the instructions but I am still having issues and I can no longer preview any entire course or course slide across all of my courses. I keep getting the same message (see below). Once I have tried previewing course slides and it fails I am no longer able to select it again.

[cid:image001.jpg@01D76F4D.6BF51DF0]

Kind Regards

Richard Gibbs TAP.mdip
Passenger Car Technical Course Developer
Training & Development
MK15 8BA

Telephone: +44 (0) 1908 245298
email: richard.gibbs@daimler.com

/// coverings.ages.graduated

A company registered in England and Wales
Registration Number: 2448457
Registered Address: Tongwell, Milton Keynes, MK15 8BA

This email is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender IMMEDIATELY. You should not copy the email or use it for any purpose or disclose its content to any other person.

[GT01071]

If you are not the addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail by mistake, and delete it. We thank you for your support.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Richard,

I appreciate the additional information. It sounds like you may have a corrupted slide in your course. I cannot see the image you've attached above because you replied via email, which also allowed your email signature to populate. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Back to your issue, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening with your permission. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing that you're experiencing crashing as well.

I'm curious if the issue happens in any course you are working on or just this particular one?

• If you cannot re-create the issue in a new course, I would advise you to import the file into a new one and proceed.
  • If it's happening in any/all files, you should conduct a repair of your software.

You're welcome to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening with your permission. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Sheri Horton

Since the last update all course files in Storyline have been crashing.  In the last hour, I've had it crash 4 times on me! It's happening with all project files, not just one in particular. It pops up with the option to Save, as if I was closing it myself. Last week, I wasn't given that option if it crashed, only after the update am I prompted with the option to Save before it crashes, which is good...but why is it crashing so much?!

I should also note, I don't have admin rights on my computer to install software, so I did read the repair option that was suggested earlier. If I go that route, I have to call tech support to get temp admin access to reinstall the software. I will go that route if this continues, but was wondering first if anyone else is experiencing the constant crashing? I've only been using Storyline since March and I find it crashes a lot! But never 4 times in a row like I experienced today. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Sheri,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing in the latest update. This is an issue that has been reported to our team. I've added this conversation so that we can share updates with you here.

In the meantime, if you select Cancel on the pop-up, you can continue working without the program closing.

Lauren Connelly

Hello Jay!

Thank you for letting us know! I'm sorry that selecting Cancel still caused the program to close and not save your work. Have you tried looking in your temp files to recover your work?

Here's how to check:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

Ren Gomez
Hi everyone,

We just released another update for Articulate 360 and included a few important fixes and new features that you'll see in the release notes here.  

The item you'll be interested in is how pressing the spacebar in slide view or using the timeline preview could prompt you to save your project file or cause Storyline 360 to close unexpectedly.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly. 
Sarah Vaughan

Hello, I'm relatively new to Storyline, but I'm having issues with the system crashing today, multiple times. It's happened in two different projects. Thankfully it does give me the option to save after I bringthe program back up, but I have to alt/ctrl/delete to close Storyline first. I do lose some data - the last time the last four buttons I'd entered on four different slides, so I don't mind putting those back in. This is getting frustrating though. Also, it seems to be taking a very long time to save and load courses today.