Storyline 360, one hotspot delays on hover

Jun 08, 2022

I have a really strange issue happening that I've never come across before.  I have a page with five hotspots on it.  What's supposed to happen is that an associated layer is supposed to appear whenever someone either hovers over or clicks each hotspot.  It's working perfectly on the first four hotspots, but it takes several seconds to work on the last hotspot.

storyline page with misbehaving hotspot

As you can see from the screenshot above, "Hotspot Arch" is at the top of the timeline, so there's nothing over it to interfere with it.  I've removed the "hide" icon from the Base Layer, and the triggers for Hotspot Arch are identical to the triggers for the other hotspots. 

I've also looked at the Animations tab, and its properties are identical to the other hotspots.  I even tried reducing the time in the Duration property to the minimum (whereas the others are at the default 00.75). 

I notice that there's no animation star at the top of this hotspot as there are on the others, but I definitely have a "Float In" animation attached to it; and, as I said, it does eventually work - just not fast enough to avoid tech support calls that say it's not working.

Any help would be gratefully received.

4 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann

Hmmm....without seeing the file and what's happening it's hard to diagnose. If you can share the file that would be great.

I assume in your testing, you are clicking 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 in sequence. What happens if you click the problematic hotspot first? Does it still lag?

Personally, I'd ditch the animations since the hotspots are invisible and the animations don't add anything, but may be the cause of the issue????

Have you tried deleting the hotspot and recreating it? If so, does the problem persist.

Those are a few ideas, but without seeing the file, it's a bit of a stab in the dark.

Steve Gannon

To add to Tom's great suggestions, I would take a look at the timeline of the Arch layer. Are the object timelines starting at 0? (Sometimes I accidentally nudge an object's timeline a second or two from 0.) Do you have a visual on that layer that is extremely large in bytes? (It may be taking a moment to load, in which case you can scale it in an image editor and re-import it.) 

Margaret Werdermann

Thanks so much to both of you for your great suggestions.  It turned out to be Steve's suggestion about the objects on the Arch layer not starting at 0 that was the problem.  I never even looked at that layer, because it was just text (so, what could possibly be wrong with that, right?).  ;-)