Storyline 360 project translation. Sldie names being tagged for translation

Jan 19, 2022

Hi,

Is it ok that the XLF exported file has <source></source> tags wrapped around slide names in the Storyline project file?

I am concerned that they are being translated into different languages.

I picked this up because some of the slides are quiz slides and have names such as R&D_1

The & in R&D gets flagged as an error when importing and prevents importing the translated document.

We intentionally avoided those characters such as > and & in the actually text of the module as it messed with Screen readers, but I did not think the Slide names would be flagged for translation?

7 Replies
Judy Nollet

Hi, Darren,

Slide names are included when exporting for translation, because Storyline uses that text to build the Menu. 

It'd be nice to have the option to not include slide names in the export-for-translation text when a course doesn't show the built-in Menu. But that functionality isn't currently available.

Perhaps "R+D" instead?  :-)

Darren McNeill

Cheers. R+D is not permitted by our organization unfortunately. Its not the issue of the naming of the slides, it is the fact that importing the translated XLF file is the issue as it flags "R&D" as it reads & as a code. We do not use menu systems in our courses.

I can go into the translated project file and manually put back R&D but its extra steps that I would like to avoid, especially as each module we create has to be translated into 20 languages through translation systems and they can export the tags incorrectly also.

Darren McNeill

Do I also assume then that Variable References on the screen are being translated will still correctly link to t its English version in the Variables list? On the Slide a variable is showing as %总体进度%% while its English version is %OverallProgress%% still in the variables list. I just want to rule out any possible headaches etc if triggers or variables stop working for any reason.