Storyline 360 Shutting Down When Attempting to Preview or Publish a File

Jan 12, 2024

My StoryLine 360 is randomly shutting down when I select either "Preview entire project", "Preview this slide", "Preview this scene", or when I attempt to publish a file. It takes multiple attempts to get a file to preview or publish. This issue started when the Text-to-Speech option was added. Not sure if that's what is causing the issue, but this issue did not occur before this feature was added if that information is useful.

I have not been able to resolve this issue. All I can do is restart Storyline 360 and try again, only to have Storyline 360 shut down again. It often takes multiple attempts to get a file to preview (slide scene or entire project) or publish without the program shutting down.

This is an ongoing issue with every file I've created in Storyline 360 since the text-to-speech option was added. I've attached the impacted file. I have also submitted two previous cases for two different files (see case numbers: 04041267, and 04050656) without receiving a response. I work in Storyline every day, and this is impacting my productivity. Will someone please help?

10 Replies
Vojtech Bellus

I've had a similar problem for a few days now, I can publish, but I can't use Preview or set up the Player. The app always crashes when I try. This applies to both Storyline 360 and Storyline 360 64bit. Event Viewer on the computer (OS Windows 11, 64 bit, latest version) tells me:

Faulting Application Name: Storyline.exe, Version: 3.83.31444.0, Timestamp: 0x6573903f
Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 117.2.2.0, timestamp: 0x65137ca5
Exception code: 0x4000001f
Error spacing: 0x00c3ac92
Faulting process identification: 0x0x43C0
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA488CCACC8A62
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Articulate\360\Storyline\Storyline.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Articulate\360\Storyline\libcef.dll
Report ID: e47d1f7f-4e1d-4970-9514-b93614772798
Full name of the offending package:
Identifying the faulty application with respect to the package:

Luciana Piazza

Hello, everyone! Hope everyone is having a great start to 2024! 🎉

Laura Ann and Voltech: I see that you both are currently working with our fabulous Support Engineers within support cases. Great call! We will continue the conversation over in your individual cases.

Teri: Thanks for helping your fellow community members. It's helpful for folks to know what others have experienced! 

Ashley: I'm sorry to hear you've run into this snag as well. I wanted to see if doing a brand new install of Articulate 360 will resolve this for you.

Here's how: 

1) Close the Articulate 360 desktop app by right-clicking the Articulate icon in your computer's system tray (by the clock) and choosing "Quit."

2) Go to your Control Panel and uninstall all Articulate 360 apps, including the Articulate 360 desktop app, Peek 360, Replay 360, Storyline 360, and Studio 360.

3) Download and extract this zip file on your computer: https://articulate-360-kb.s3.amazonaws.com/360cleanup.zip

4) Right-click the 360cleanup.bat file and choose "Run as administrator." The script should only take a few seconds to remove all the Articulate files and registry keys from your computer.

5) Reboot your computer.

6) Download the latest Articulate 360 desktop app here: https://360.articulate.com/downloads

7) Right-click the articulate-360.exe file and choose "Run as administrator."

8) Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app and click "Install" beside each authoring app you want to install.

9) Reboot your computer and test your Articulate apps.

Please let us know if that does the trick. If you are still having trouble, please let us know! We'd be happy to escalate this to our talented Support Engineers. 

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Jose Tansengco

Hello Anne, 

Here's the updated link mentioned in step 3 of my colleague's response. Please let me know if this works for you. 

Regarding the behavior you're experiencing, there's a possibility that a corrupted element in the project is causing the previewing or publishing of the file to fail. Working locally is a recommended way to reduce running into such issues. If the issue is happening to only a single project file, please share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can attempt to fix it. We'll delete it when we're done!

If the issue is happening to all of your project files, please follow the steps shared by Luciana and let us know if this works for you!

Anne Huskey

Greetings Jose,

Thank you for your response to my problem. I have been working for the
last week to try to narrow down what could be causing the glitch. The
shutting down when I try to preview, or use the player seems to span across
different files. Unfortunately, it is not consistent. On occasion, I am
able to preview or play using , but maybe once or twice. If I save a
project and then try to preview again, it will begin the process and then
shut down.

I follow the process explained by your colleague, but it is still
not working. I thought maybe my hard drive was working too hard or had
insufficient space, however, with Articulate loaded, I have used 115 G out
of 227 G. I would think that would be enough running power. I cleaned my
drive to be sure.

Are there any other suggestions that I may try to resolve this issue?

Thank you,

Anne Huskey

Vojtech Bellus

Hello dear friends,

I received these suggestions from support. The first one basically solved my problem instantly and was the fastest. I should have installed the 07/2023 update in Articulate 360. After installing Articulate works fine for me, but ... the update process is stopped. So it's definitely just a temporary solution. The second suggestion was to try creating a new profile and see if it would work incorrectly in that as well. In the new profile it also worked fine with the current version of Articulate Storyline 360. So for me, the problem is somewhere in my profile in combination - the current version of Windows 11 Pro 23H2 + the current version of Articulate Storyline 360. But the important thing is that thanks to the help of support I was able to continue working, since I, like everyone else, have a project deadline .