Storyline v3.74.30180.0 course packaging infected with Malware?

May 02, 2023

About the time I installed this v3.74... update, Microsoft Teams has begun to flag the SCORM packages being produced, saying Teams has detected Malware and features are disabled.
Has anyone else seen this?

33 Replies
Maggie VanNorman

Is there any further information on this issue? My client receives virus warnings on all of my quiz files that I upload to Teams. I have checked my files in the malware sites and there is no issue with them. However, my client will not download the files. I submitted a case this summer with Articulate and they were not able to help me. Thanks.

Jose Tansengco

Hello Maggie, 

Good call on opening a support case! A supper engineer will be in touch shortly to investigate why your files are being tagged as malicious. In the mean time, you can check out my response here which contains links to some tools that you can use to confirm that your files are malware free. You can provide the results from those tests to your client to let them know that what they're seeing is most likely a false positive, and that they'll need to update their virus definitions to correct the behavior.

BSI Learning

The issue went away magically and now it has happened again. We can confirm that there is no virus or malware present in the zip file that was uploaded onto SharePoint. The issue is that it doesn't affect all files that we upload and only random ones. It is a very annoying issue as this issue was not present in past Storyline published files.

Adam Foulkes

We have this issue too.
I have asked our IT team to take a look at this for us. He has been in contact with Microsoft and here is their response:

Thank you for sharing the detected file.

I’ve ran a scan with an internal tool and the file seems to be detected by external entities.

This means, as we’ve discussed in our call, that the application vendor should work internally to find if there were any changes in the signatures or keys that are causing this detection.

From Microsoft’s side there isn’t much we can do other than help the app vendor identify the issue but, only in case they use Microsoft’s security products. Otherwise, they must try to solve the issue alone or with their security product providers.

Unfortunately, this is as far as we can help you at this time, regarding this issue.

Articulate devs - please help us as this is causing more work for us to get SCORM files loaded onto our LMS as we use MS Teams to circulate them.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Steven Benassi

Hi Adam!

Sorry to hear you've also been affected by this behavior!

Thank you for sharing the detailed feedback. I've opened a support case on your behalf so our support engineers can look into this issue further. You're in excellent hands troubleshooting with them, and they should be reaching out to you shortly!

We can continue the conversation through your case to help keep all information in one spot.

Kevan Fireheart

I've been posting Storyline files to Teams/Sharepoint for about the past 4 years and today I got a message from our Security outfit telling me that a file got the dreaded "contains the following: "Phish_Gen_TiRanosBlocker_Gen#" virus. Has anything been found out or resolved about this issue? I tested the file on the 2 websites suggested above with no malware found. I also used Malware Bytes and Windows Defender and neither of those things found anything on my computer or in that file. I'm not sure what to do to get this file on Teams.

Jose Tansengco

Hi Kevan,

Happy to chime in! 

If Windows Defender and other anti-malware software are not detecting any issues with your published output, that most likely means there's a configuration in your Microsoft Teams settings that needs to be changed to prevent this false positive from being reported by your system.

Since the behavior is specific to Microsoft Teams, and Articulate has no control over this platform and how it detects malware, I suggest raising this concern with Microsoft Teams support as they will be more equipped than us to address platform-specific issues. Feel free to open a case with our support team here if Microsoft Teams support requires any additional information to modify this behavior on their end.