SystemDate

I’m helping a coworker finish up his Storyline module, but we just cannot get the SystemDate in a certificate to behave! It worked earlier but now it won’t budge.

We have a SystemDate variable and set up the javascript and trigger correctly. Here’s some other stuff that I tried:

I shortened the file name

I cleared out my temp internet files

I used a couple of basic date scripts that I copied from these forums

I ran it from a web server instead of locally

I exported the certificate slide into a brand new project – and it works!

I deleted the SystemDate variable in the original file and then imported the single slide from the new project – it does not work.

Any ideas? This file is pretty large, with graphics and audio, so I’m not going to update it to the forum. We are pulling our hair out, and this needs to get published – TIA!

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Kate, 

There were a few "red flags" in items you tried (the shortened file name, and the certificate slide working in a new project), which lead me to believe it could be an issue of file corruption in the original .story file. You'll want to ensure that you're following these guidelines to prevent odd behavior:

  • Work on your local drive (your C: drive).Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, includingfile corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory pathto your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters(for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents orsymbols in your file names.
  • Test your published content within the intended environment  instead of from a local drive

Importing the file into a new Storyline file *may* resolve any odd behavior. Additionally, there are some Javascript best practices detailed here, and in this other thread a user shared a site where you can test your Javascript code.