Text Boxes

Apr 24, 2013

I imported a detailed PowerPoint slide with several animations the other day into Storyline and three of my text boxes have a small dotted line around them.  They are not selected and do not have handles.  I can't figure out what SL is trying to tell me by having the dotted lines around these three boxes.  What does it mean?  Oh, the lines do not show up during a preview, I am just curious

9 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Robin,

I think it's just the way some objects appear on the slide, even if they don't have borders. I won't pretend to know the designer's secrets, but I have seen this appear on other objects in the past. 

I believe, and I may be wrong, that shapes containing text but displaying no fill or border usually do this so you're aware of the original size for the shape. Any chance those text boxes originated as shapes?

Thanks!

Christine

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Robin,

No problem :) I think it's really considered a "guide" for some objects, but I believe it's related to how they're displaying in the slide, the type of the object and what's applied to it.

Right, I don't think it's anything that should cause any problems. However, if you do happen to notice anything strange, please let me know.

Thanks very much!

Christine

Robin King

Hi Bruce & Christine,

I am having another issue with the above mentioned graphic & three other graphics in my story.  When I stop working on my story project, save it, and close for the night, the next morning when I open the story file I will have graphics missing.  I am using my C: drive for all my Articulate files and I am not on a corporate network and I am using Windows 7 Ultimate.  Three times now I have had to select the place holder for the graphic->right click->choose change picture->navigate to where the picture is and resize it etc.  Once I copied it from the other program and pasted it into the story thinking that would solve the disappearing graphic issue.  It doesn't.  I just can't figure it out.

Robin   

Christine Hendrickson

Good morning Robin,

Does this happen for you in any other projects? If we can find out if this is specific to this file, it would help quite a bit. 

If you haven't already, please try to create a new file and insert some images. Save and close the file. Does the same thing happen when you reopen the file?

Also, how are the image files named? I have seen some instances where image files containing special characters (this includes spaces and underscores) have gone "missing" in projects. Try renaming the files, if you can and see if that makes a difference. 

If you don't see the same problem in a new file, it may be that the original course is corrupted. If you'd like, you're welcome to send the file to us

Thanks Robin!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.