Text Entry Fields

Sep 17, 2015

Does anyone have any tips/advice for working with text entry fields. I'm building a simulation and I'm getting it to work, but I'm really struggling with all the workarounds I'm needing to build. Below are the behaviors I'm trying to achieve but still having trouble with. I would love your input or suggestions.

1. Cursor to appear in text entry field by default. I had to put the text entry on a separate layer to achieve this behavior. A previous post said as long as the text entry is at the bottom of the timeline it should work. But I have either a screenshot or screen recording that need to be on the bottom of the timeline.

2. Formatting the text entry box. I have the same issue that many other users report of the text box not retaining/or reverting back to the default settings. I basically wrestle with the formatting until I get it set and then I lock it on the timeline.

3. Tab to next field. (This is the native behavior of the software must be replicated, I can't use mouse clicks to navigate.) I've turned off the Alt Text/Accessibility Tools option on all my slide objects, but pressing tab highlights objects on the Player window. I'm only able to get the tab key to work on a Question slide that was inserted automatically when I inserted a screen recording in Try Mode.

I've attached a sample (see Slide 2), which may be easier to understand than my explanations.

Thanks, - Paul

1 Reply
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Paul!

You may find that a data-entry field doesn't have focus when you visit a slide in your published output. As a result, you have to click the data-entry field before you can begin typing in it. This issue was corrected in Update 5 for Articulate Storyline 2.

I took a look at your sample and it seems that everything is working. I'm not seeing the Tab Issue that you mentioned.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.