Text variable

Aug 23, 2023

Hi,

I've been trying to create a branching scenario using a text variable.  This is based on one of the workshops.  But I can't seem to make it work correctly.  I've downloaded the practice file and compared it to mine and they look the same.  So I can't figure out what's not working.  I've included the files.  Can someone help me figure out where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,

Daniel

4 Replies
Christy Tucker

What exactly is going wrong? What steps can someone take to replicate the problem? What happens now, and what do you expect to happen instead?

I can see that your quiz branching won't quite work, since you have the triggers set to exact values rather than ranges. You have 3 options:

• 30 points
  • 15 points
  • <15 points

But what if someone gets 22 or 25 points? You don't have a trigger set to handle any numbers from 15-29.

Instead of setting the middle trigger to If Results.ScorePoints = value 15, set it to

If Results.ScorePoints ≥ 15

and Results.ScorePoints ≤ 29

(That's greater than or equal to 15 and less than or equal to 29.)

I don't know if that's the problem you were trying to solve though.

Daniel Schwartz

Hi Christy,

So the file named Practice Variables is mine and the other one is the practice file from the Storyline Webinar/Workshop.  I'm trying to replicate what David Anderson did by having a text variable that results in the learner having a different experience based on what they select.  So a manager will see different material then a supervisor etc.  

I set up the variable in the first slide.  The second slide I wanted a different character to appear based on what they selected in the first slide but that's not happening.  Then I tried to set it up that based on what they selected they would go to a different slide/branch.  That isn't working either.  I haven't tackled the quiz part yet because I can't get the first parts to work.

Hopefully that answers a little better what I'm trying to solve.

Judy Nollet

Two of the triggers to assign values to the variables use all lower case letters. But the conditions that check those values use initial caps: 

So the Supervisor button works to set the state of Role to Supervisor, because both instances use all lower case. 

Make the adjust values and the value in the conditions match exactly, and it works.