Timer

Oct 23, 2023

Hi,

I created a timer, but it starts as soon as the project starts, and the timer is only needed for the third slide. How do I make the clock start when the user is on the right slide? I created my timer in the slide master if this information is helpful.

Thank you,

Natalie

8 Replies
Walt Hamilton

If it is needed only on the third slide, move it to the third slide. The master slide is for things that need to show up on several slides.

Somewhere, somehow, there is a trigger that starts the timing. It probably refers to something on the slide, like “Do this action when the timeline on this slide starts”.  If you move it to the slide where it is needed, it will probably function as you intend.  If not, attach the  .story file here, and. someone can take a look at it.

Walt Hamilton

Actually, you didn't move the timer to the slides. You only moved the timer's display. The timer (the two layers) is still on the master, and starts when the first slide starts.

There are two ways around that in the attached project.

The first one is the Original Scene. It will work well if you want to use the timer some other place. I created a new layout named Blank, and renamed the original blank to Timer. I set slides one and three to use the Blank layout, and the second slide (with the timer display) to use the Timer layout. If you want to reuse the timer some other place, just set that slide layout to Timer, and place a display on it.

The other method is on scene Alternate, and may be more straight forward. I recreated the two timer layers and their triggers on slide two.

In all cases, I set Seconds  to 0 when the slide starts, so the timer starts over if the slide is revisited. I subtracted 1 from it only if it is greater than 0, so it doesn't go to negative  numbers.

Natalie Mak

Hi Walt,

I  was able to have the timers work yesterday, but they are not working today. Not working means the numbers on the clock are not moving at all.

Also on the scene titled Orginal, I do not see any new layers called timer or blank. The original looks untouched to me, in your story file. 

I  went with the alternative scene option yesterday, but I THINK where I went wrong was I was trying to add it to another slide. I THINK I need to see the timer you made on the original scene because that is the option that will work for me. 

Thank you,

Natalie