translation export bug

Jun 11, 2015

Hi,

I've noticed a bug whereby certain text strings in a Storyline course don't get exported from Storyline to the translation file. I have slides where I change the value of a variable to different text strings when the timeline reaches different cue points, to act as closed captioning for a video. I do this on several slides for various videos in the same course.

When I export for translation, for some of the video slides all of the text values are exported (ie, every string for every cue point). For others, only some of the values are exported (for some reason it seems to ignore the first 14-16 cue points and then exports the rest) and for yet others it doesn't export any of them. After importing my translation, this leaves some of my closed captioning translated, some partially translated, and some not translated at all, because the text just isn't all being sent to the exported translation file in the first place.

Any idea why this would be happening?

12 Replies
James Grayson

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure if the file names and paths restrictions are relevant since I'm talking about saving a Word translation file rather than the Storyline file itself, but in any case yes, I do adhere to those guidelines and am saving to my local drive. There are no unexpected issues anywhere else in the translation file that would suggest corruption, just that certain strings are missing from it when it's created. Unfortunately the project is proprietary and I'm not permitted to share the content.

I have noticed other threads on what appears to be this issue (eg "Fix for text omitted from translation files?" by David Dye) that haven't had a fix--is this a known issue?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi James,

Working locally and using those file naming conventions refer to all elements of the project files from the .story file, the translation, and the published files. So it's always worth checking. 

Without seeing your file I can't confirm if matches the behavior that David shared he was running into, which per his thread was confirmed by our support team and reported to our QA team for additional review. I'd suspect based on the time of his thread that he was using Storyline 1, and I see no similar reports in Storyline 2. If you're unable to share the file here, you can always send along to our support engineers here and they'll be happy to take a look and that way the file is kept confidential. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi James,

Our support team can also sign an NDA if you'd need - or if you could provide a stripped down version of that file that doesn't violate your agreement but still shows the same behavior we can take a look at that. Or if you could reproduce it in a new file with sample text - that would be helpful. Based on your set up it sounds like there are a number of factors that trying to recreate may not provide the same set up and therefore hard to narrow down or determine if we've identify an issue. 

James Grayson

Okay, I've stripped the course down to two slides (with proprietary content either boilerplated or just removed). The fact that it's two slides seems to be significant--if I cut it down to one the export appears to work.

Note that all of the values for the text variable Caption1 used on slide 1.1 are included in the loc output (Video 1 Caption 1-Video 1 Caption 20), which is the desired behaviour.

However, for the text variable Caption2 used on slide 1.2, the first 15 values are missing from the loc output (it includes only Video 2 Caption 16-Video 2 Caption 61.)

If I include additional similar slides they all exhibit similar behaviour, with the first 14-16 values omitted from the translation file. The first slide always appears to export all values correctly.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Christie Pollick

Hi, James -- Thanks for your response. I think at this point, as I was unable to reproduce the issue that you were seeing, you may want to reach out to our Support Team directly for additional exploration. You are welcome to submit your files using this link, and they will be happy to investigate further. I will be on the lookout for your case number and plan to follow along with their progress. :)

Christie Pollick

Hi, Coralie -- Thanks for reaching out, and it does not appear that James decided to submit a case to our Support Engineers for further investigation, so I cannot share an update there. But, if you would like to reach out to James directly to inquire as to a possible resolution reached, you are welcome to use the 'Contact Me' link on his profile page. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.