Triggers and States

Jan 20, 2015

Dear Community,

I am really enjoying acquiring my new SL skills however I'm finding it quite challenging at this point in time.  I am working on my very first project and have been heavily relying on tutorials to help me through (thank you, they're wonderful).  However I am stuck, have been stuck for hours now. I can't seem to work out how to get my triggers and states to work together.  My main issue is a layer titled 'Corporate Buttons'. The learner clicks on a button to reveal the text. How do I make the text disappear, yet retain the buttons on the left of the screen so the learner can select the next button to reveal the next set of text?  Please help.  Oh and please keep in mind, this project is still very much in 'draft' format.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

7 Replies
Kevin Thorn

Hi Nerina,

You're thinking in the right direction so give yourself a pat on the back. I looked at your file and it seems you can solve this with a slight change to your design. 

Layers typically only reveal one at a time, but you can set the Layer Properties to NOT hide other layers. In your current setup that setting won't help us.

The one thing I noticed that I'm not sure is by design or an oversight, but on the "Firm Structure_Practice Areas" slide, if you click on any of the buttons under the photos you jump to another slide...except Lucinda Smith's photo. 

Lucinda Smith's photo is from what I understand launches to menu of buttons to access to content on the all the layers of that slide. So, if that's the correct I'd suggest building out the same "click-n-reveal" setup with Lucinda's button jumping to her own slide and then show the Corporate Buttons on the left.

I see it's slightly different but with your left side buttons on the main slide, each clicked then shows a Layer. Yet, on the main slide with the five photos only Lucinda's show a Layer that has the left side buttons and *then* each button shows a new Layer.

You have a nice clean layout and you've learned a LOT on your own! Kudos! Just step back away from Storyline (the tool) and look at your design. Even if you have to draw it out and map it our with pencil and paper, I'll promise that sketch will reveal everything you need to know before jumping right into development.

Hope this helps! 

Nerina Williams

Hello Kevin,  thank you so very much for your advice.  This section of my project is now working how I envisioned it in my minds eye.  Yes, I agree mapping the project out initially would have been the better option rather delve right in! Promise to map out part B.  I also seem to have a few technical glitches. I find SL performs extremely slowly on occasions and triggers don't function properly.  I'm constantly shutting down Articulate and re-opening it. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Our Tech team can't help. I'm the only one who uses the application.  Are there settings I need to adjust on my PC to support Articulate to allow it to function at it's optimum?

Thank you once again.

Nerina

Kevin Thorn

@Nerina,

The resources Emily provided are usually the main 'pain points' when things slow down or Storyline doesn't behave optimally. 

Aside from the above, take a close look at all your media (audio, video, images).

• Video: .MOV are larger file sizes than .MP4
  • Audio: .WAV are larger file sizes than .MP3
  • Images: Typical iPhone photo is 2.4 MB at 3264 x 2448. Resizing the image down to 720 x 540 (Storyline default Story Size) doesn't reduce its files size - it's still 2.4 MB.
    • Even re-sizing down to thumbnail or cropping images, the still retain their original parameters.
    • If you have several of these images/photos on a slide including layers, that slide will perform poorly compared to others in your project.  Ex: 6 images scaled down to thumbnail size and act as buttons to show a layer. 6 layers have a larger image of the thumbnail button with related content. Regardless of the size you "see", there's now 28.8 MB of images on that slide. May not sound like a lot, but over the course of a project with lots of media it will add up fast.

I realize not everyone has the ability to upgrade, but more RAM is the cheapest and easiest to upgrade if you can.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.