Using 3rd Party captioners with Articulate Storyline 360

Nov 30, 2021

Hello,

I'm not finding the answer to this question on this community so perhaps someone can tell me. Articulate treats each slide's audio as a separate track so captioning has to be handled on a per-slide basis. If we wanted to send an entire project off to a 3rd party captioning provider, is there a trick to this? Do we just export all the media, upload it to the captioning provider, download all the captions, and store them in the media library? If they give the caption files the same name as the audio tracks (i.e.: Slide1.mp3 caption file is called Slide1.srt) then will the captions automatically import into Storyline, or do we have to import them a slide at a time? Is there a way to automate this process?

Please advise,

Julia

2 Replies
James  Bennett

Hi Julia,

Unfortunately, the captions won't automatically link to the audio files if the audio files are already in the course.

You're right that you can export the media from the media library and then send them to the 3rd party.

You will then have to add the individual caption files to the audio files either on each slide or through the media library directly.

https://community.articulate.com/series/articulate-storyline-360/articles/storyline-360-managing-a-project-s-assets-with-the-media-library#closed-captions

Cheers, 
James!

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Julia, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Thanks for sharing what you are currently working on and I'm glad that James was able to pop in and help. I wanted to share a bit more documentation that may be helpful.

Importing Captions

You can import closed captions from the Storyline ribbon or the Size and Position window, as described above. Even better, you can use the media library to import and manage closed captions for all audio clips and videos in your project. Check it out!