I recently had a request to create a "test mode" for Articulate Storyline courses by my SMEs when they are reviewing courses online at Articulate 360. I could manually do this, but with the number of courses I manage, I felt a needed an automatic method to minimize issues (and not accidentally publish a Test Mode course to learners).
The Test Mode allows for SMEs to navigate freely in the course and to not be restricted to a locked down Main Menu. The Main Menu contains buttons for each section, and the learner must complete each section before continuing (tracked by custom variables).
I thought I'd share my solution in case other developers wish to use a system like this.
- var_currentHost (text)
- var_testMode (true/false)
var currentHost = window.location.hostname
var player = GetPlayer();
- Create Layer: Test Mode Indicator with visual indicator/instructions for course running in Test mode for SMEs.
- Add Trigger: Show layer Test Mode Indicator When the timeline starts If var_currentHost is equal to articulateusercontent.com. Note: this is the returned value - I had expected 360.articulate.com though!
Create Layer: Test Mode.
- Display text box indicator/instructions for course running in test mode for SMEs.
- Add triggers change menu variables to unlock all menu buttons. In my case: "Set my var_Section1 equal to True when the timeline starts."
I cannot provide a .story because of the proprietary content... sorry about that.