Video being pushed up after publication with SL3 in Windows 10

Greetings,

I ran into a weird issue with SL3 when dealing with a video slide. Here's the rundown:

  1. The slide has an imported video.
  2. That video was "brought to back" at the bottom of the timeline to avoid hiding other elements, such as custom navigation.
  3. The project was published in SL3 using SCORM 1.2
  4. The slide within the project appeared to work fine as attended in my LMS environment, but I was working on Windows 7.
  5. A colleague of mine tested it on Windows 10, and it glitched, as the custom navigation buttons were "missing" from the slides. Depending on your Internet connection, it can happen that the project has trouble loading some assets.
  6. The video was full screen, so I resent him the project with the video resized. The issue occured again, but this time, we noticed that the buttons were half visible, like the video was on top of them. We couldn't see those elements because the video was resized to fit the entire screen.
  7. I rechecked the timeline, and the video was still at the bottom of the timeline.
  8. I upgraded to Articulate 360 (all intended prior to finding the issue, no obligation, the Articulate staff can confirm) and republished the project at first in Review 360, and it worked, without the video hiding the buttons. It was both checked on my work station with Windows 7 and on my colleague's station with Windows 10.
  9. I republished it on my LMS, and low and behold, it worked, for both OS.
  10. Please note that we were both using Chrome, but when my colleague cleaned his cookies and browser, the issue was also present in a previous version of the project, on his station.

In short, it seemed like the video was "brought to [the] front (top)" of the timeline upon publishing. It's like if you were working on a PSD file and then upon saving for web, the bottom layer was pushed at the very top of the stack. It was also with only videos, not any other type of assets.

As anyone ran into such an issue? It was on Windows 10, using SL3 (version 3.4.15731.0), with SCORM 1.2, on Chrome, in an LMS site. I don't have the info on the version for some of these stuff, that's the best I can provide.

4 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Jean-Christophe,

Yes, it sounds like you're running into a known issue that we corrected in an update to Storyline 360 yesterday:

    • Fixed: Some objects disappeared when viewing courses in Google Chrome 72.

This will be addressed in the next update to Storyline 3 as well.

I'll add this conversation to the report so that we can update you here.

Jean-Christophe Goyette

Hello Leslie, 

If I may clarify something, the objects in my course didn't disappear, but were hidden by the video, which got pushed up, as if the timeline's order gets tempered with upon publishing. As I said, the best way to describe this is similar to exporting an image for the web in Photoshop, but then the layer at the very bottom of the stack gets moved to the top.

The video was resized to fill the entire slide, with the buttons on top of it. At first, we thought that they disappeared. However, when I downsized the video, we noticed that the buttons were visible, but partially hidden by the video, which was always at the bottom of the timeline's stack.

If objects are disappearing, which did happen to me a few times, it was mostly because the LMS environment had problems loading the slides and dropped some of its assets by mistake. Reloading the course fixed it.

I'm afraid that I don't have any file to give you, because the issue got fixed when I published the course in SL360, but that's just for me. If I recall other steps and behaviors for this issue, I'll see how I can tell you so you can conduct your tests and research as thoroughly as possible, and pinpoint the problem as precisely as you can.

(I got experience in QA testing, so... yeah, I get the idea of steps, explanations, proofs and such ;) )

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Jean-Christophe,

The "disappearing objects" also included items hidden behind or under videos, and that issue should be resolved if you're publishing with the latest Storyline 360, build 3.25.18009.0

If you do run into it again, please let us know as it would be helpful to have those steps or a look under the hood of your file! 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jean-Christophe,

I'm happy to share that an update to Storyline 3 is available today.

Enhanced: We added support for Google Chrome 72 and Safari 12.0.3. If objects disappear when viewing a course in these browsers, install the latest Storyline 3 update and republish your course.

Check out all the details on the latest release here.

Please let us know if you run into any issue after updating and republishing.