Web Object issues

Aug 01, 2023

Hi,

I tried embedding a web object in a file and got this error message:

The web address you entered cannot be displayed in a frame.  In order to function properly, this web object must be set to open in a new browser window.

I've never gotten this error before.  Does anyone know what it means and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Daniel

6 Replies
Therese Williams
Daniel Schwartz

Hi,

The web address you entered cannot be displayed in a frame.  In order to function properly, this web object must be set to open in a new browser window.

I've never gotten this error before.  Does anyone know what it means and how to fix it?  HMV-Hear My Voice Survey

Thanks,

Daniel

Hello,

The error message suggests that the web object you tried to embed is configured to prevent being displayed within a frame. To fix it, you need to set the web object to open in a new browser window instead of being embedded. This can be done through the target attribute in HTML or similar settings in other web technologies. 

Daniel Schwartz
Therese Williams
Daniel Schwartz

Hi,

I've never gotten this error before.  Does anyone know what it means and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Daniel

Hello,

The error message suggests that the web object you tried to embed is configured to prevent being displayed within a frame. To fix it, you need to set the web object to open in a new browser window instead of being embedded. This can be done through the target attribute in HTML or similar settings in other web technologies. 

Can you talk a little bit more about the fix?  I know I can have it open in a new browser window as that is one of the options in Storyline but if I want to have it open in the course how do I make that happen?  If the object is configured not to fit in a frame, can I change that?  I tried different sites like YouTube that didn't work and other ones that did.  Just wondering if there is a fix that doesn't include the learner leaving the course.

Kelly Auner

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue! In addition to what Therese shared, I found a similar discussion where Jurgen explains this error message may be because a website is trying to display another website without the consent of its owner.

What kind of web object are you trying to insert? If you're comfortable sharing your file with us, I'd be happy to take a closer look at what's going on, You can upload it here or share it privately in a support case. We'll delete it from our systems once troubleshooting is complete!

Jose Tansengco

Hello Daniel, 

Thanks for sharing a copy of your project file. I tested it on my end and can confirm that your company's website cannot be added to a Storyline 360 course via an iframe. You'll need to reach out to the administrator of the website so they can modify its configuration and allow the website to be embedded this way. For your reference, I found this article which explains the methods used to block websites from being added as iframes.