Advice

Mar 15, 2019

Sorry if this is off-topic. I’m looking for advice. 

I’ve discovered a talent for making online courses. I’d like to become an eLearning Designer/Developer or instructional designer. How much do they start out making? Are they the same thing? Can anyone tell me more about that type of job? Is it actually fun? How can I get into it?

2 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi there,

I've rounded up a couple articles that answer some of your questions:

As far as how much IDs make, I think the best place to get an idea of that is on Glassdoor. It varies depending on your location, experience, and the type of company you work for.

I hope that helps!

Jennifer Cannon

I went back to school and earned my BS and then MS in Technical Communication. Then I did an internship with a large company as a 'digital learning developer' and have since moved forward in my ID/eLearning developer career. I also have 20+ years of business experience so that helps. I think there are probably shorter paths but that was my path. I'd consider looking into some type of formal education or certification to support your portfolio. Design and development are two different things and I don't know if your talent is concentrated in one or the other, but I think to be successful you'll need a healthy dose of both. I'd try Salary.com to compare salaries in your area. Good luck!!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.