LMS vs LRS

Nov 25, 2020

I am a bit confused about LRS. Can somebody help me with use-cases when one needs to have LRS. Also when we are using Rise for course designing and WordPress as LMS, what could we get more by using LRS?

PS: I am a newbie so would appreciate explanations on the same.

1 Reply
Judy Nollet

Here's some basic info.

LMS = Learning Management System. An LMS is designed to track SCORM (Shareable Content Object Reference Model) data. Simply put, SCORM is a set of specifications and standards for communicating eLearning info. 

LRS = Learning Record Store. An LRS is used for tracking xAPI (Experience Application Programming Interface) data.  xAPI is a newer standard that can track more info than SCORM does. An LRS can stand on its own, or it can be part of an LMS. But not all LMS's include an LRS. 

While you could pull more data using an LRS, it might not be worth the effort. Lots of folks are happy just knowing completion status and test scores. To make this decision, consider what details you need to know. Find out from the WordPress LMS what data you can pull. And talk with an LRS provider about what they can do.

Good luck!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.