Mastery

May 20, 2020

Hello - New to e-learning and course development.  I've been tasked with developing a course that meets our strictest standards -  I want to identify incorrect answers and ask the same question at least 2 times until answered correctly twice before moving on to the next module.

Unless the student answers all questions correctly during the first pass through the module, the student must do at least one additional pass to comply with the mastery criteria. During the third pass and all subsequent passes, the student has the option to skip the instruction content review and only repeat the mastery assessment.

2 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Alisha,

I've never done anything like this, but I'm thinking that to set this up you'd need to:

• Set up a question bank with all your questions
  • Create a numeric variable for each question with a default value of 0
  • On each correct slide layer, add a trigger that adds 1 to the value of the associated numeric variable
  • On the base layer of each question, add a trigger that jumps to the next slide when the timeline starts if the value of the associated numeric variable is equal to 2 (meaning the learner has already answered that question correctly twice). This should effectively skip over the question.
  • Insert multiple draws from your question bank (for example, one at the beginning and another at the end of your course. It's up to you how you want to set this up)

The only issue I see here is that I'm not sure how to make the scoring work since each learner won't encounter the same number of questions. Hopefully someone else has an idea there!

Let me know if you run into any other issues and I'll do my best to help you out.

Alisha Tarwater

Thank you!

This is what I came up with: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/2558a222-28a3-452d-9cd7-6beeb45e26d0/review

But I have a few more questions now -

If the student doesn't pass the exam on the first try - I send them back to retake the same random exam and it won't let them proceed until the variable on the question changes to 2, right? Depending on how many they missed - if the variable is already changed on the question will it ask it again until it reaches 2 or fill it with other random questions from the pool?

Can the variables be compared between tests or is it just calculated from the individual question?  For example: if they pass on the first attempt (100% - next module, do not need to answer twice correctly); however, they still pass (70 or above), but haven't answered a question correctly - in the retake from the question bank does it ask those questions where the variable is 0 or 1? 

If this is confusing to you at all, would it be possible to speak to you via telephone or setup a conference call?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.