Forum Discussion

AmandaEspino164
Community Member
3 days ago

Adding Up Points on Likert Scale and Printing Results/Text Responses

Need help from a Storyline expert! 

I have spent A LOT of time trying to create a self-assessment that measures a coaching client's willingness and ability to engage in the process of behavior change. I thought it would be fairly easy, but it has been anything but...

I need the assessment to score the user's responses, based on the response they select and the associated point value. I also need for the user to be able to export and print all of their responses (the Likert Scale responses AND text entries).

1.) For the first version, I created a slider for the user to utilize when selecting their response which functions much like a Likert scale, except it's a slider. I used variables, conditions, and triggers such that the user's responses would be totaled up and they would receive customized feedback on the results slide that tells them which "category" they fit into (Not ready to change, Moderately ready to change,  Very ready to change). 
The only problem is: during testing, when I tried to Print my responses, I could not see ANYTHING. No responses at all--not to the slider, and not the text responses.

I need for the user to be able to print and share their self-assessment with their coach. I've done some research and it sounds like I have to do something with a Java Script that just seemed way too complicated so I tried a second version.

2.) For the second version, I changed the sliders to Survey questions and selected the Likert scale. I thought that Storyline would total the points automatically, but alas, it does not because the Likert Scale is a Survey question, not a Quiz question (le sigh). So, now I can't get the feedback slides to show because results are not calculating. 

Can someone tell me an EASY fix for something like this? Even if it's not an easy fix....anything that could better help me understand what I'm doing wrong would be so appreciated! :) 

• Hi AmandaEspino164 I have put together a very simple version of what you are possibly looking for. This adds a value (1-5) to a variable for each question Q1-Q3. A total is then added up to QTOTAL variable. The print results screen is a pre-defined page that cannot be changed without some knowledge of JavaScript/HTML development, but does print the users response to each of the questions. Any extra information required in the printed results would need to be a customisation to the results page (an HTML published with the course when you include the print results functionality).

• Hi AmandaEspino164 I have put together a very simple version of what you are possibly looking for. This adds a value (1-5) to a variable for each question Q1-Q3. A total is then added up to QTOTAL variable. The print results screen is a pre-defined page that cannot be changed without some knowledge of JavaScript/HTML development, but does print the users response to each of the questions. Any extra information required in the printed results would need to be a customisation to the results page (an HTML published with the course when you include the print results functionality).

AmandaEspino164
      Community Member

Thank you so much, Sam! I was hoping I would not have to split up the statements into separate slides (to reduce clicks for the user), but that doesn't appear to be possible. I'll break them out into separate slides and apply your fix. Thank you again!